RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » 1st Trip Crosscounty via Amtrak

Author Topic: 1st Trip Crosscounty via Amtrak
Heyboom
Member # 2058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heyboom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - Like some general helpful information regarding our first (young seniors) trip back home (New York Penn Sta) for Christmas holidays. Leaving from Fullerton through Chicago then on to NY in a regular sleeper round trip for my wife and myself. Any info regarding, food, what not to take in your small room (have two small rollalongs with two backbacks), hot showers(?), walking ok without being annoying? Any tidbits would be helpful...Haven't found a web sight on train travel per se, this is the best I've found so far... Any assistance is appreciated...

Boomer

------------------
Boomer

[This message has been edited by Heyboom (edited 11-05-2002).]

Posts: 8 | From: cypress, Ca usa | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to http://www.trainweb.com and click on the Travel link. There is a wealth of information there on Amtrak travel tips. Read some of the travelogues to get a feel for what train life is like. There are also several good books out there--I read "All Aboard!" and "Rail Ventures" before my first train trip, and both helped me feel prepared.
For your specific questions:
- All meals are included with your sleeper. The food is good; not a lot of variety, but you will be well-fed. There is a lounge car that sells snacks. Your sleeper attendant will have snacks and beverages available every day.
- There are showers, and the water was fine whenever I used them. However, you can't luxuriate under the spray for an hour...there are other passengers, and only so much water supply between replenishment stops.
- "Walking ok without being annoying"? I guess you mean can you walk from car to car. Sure, but be considerate. If you need to practice your opera singing, wait until you get to your destination! Just be careful; the train doesn't move silky-smooth, and a sudden jolt can knock you off-balance.
Have fun!

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with daisybumble - get a copy of "All Aboard!" by Jim Loomis...

Have a great trip!

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heyboom
Member # 2058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heyboom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone...Have ordered Jim Loomis's
"All Aboard" as suggested. Looking forward to our trip. Another question I have is in tipping. Any general percentage for room attendants and meals? Heard the term gold dollars...what if anything does this mean.

Thanks - Boomer

Posts: 8 | From: cypress, Ca usa | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heyboom
Member # 2058

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Heyboom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heyboom:
Hi - Like some general helpful information regarding our first (young seniors) trip back home (New York Penn Sta) for Christmas holidays. Leaving from Fullerton through Chicago then on to NY in a regular sleeper round trip for my wife and myself. Any info regarding, food, what not to take in your small room (have two small rollalongs with two backbacks), hot showers(?), walking ok without being annoying? Any tidbits would be helpful...Haven't found a web sight on train travel per se, this is the best I've found so far... Any assistance is appreciated...

Boomer

daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tipping...tip your sleeper attendant $5 per night, more if you ask for extra services (like dinner served in your room). In the dining car, you are not given a bill since you don't pay out for your food. To make things easy, tip $1 or $2 per person (again, more if you receive outstanding service). Keep in mind that you and your wife will most likely be seated with other people if the train is full and the dining car busy.
I forgot to address one of your original questions...what can you take in your comparment. On the Fullerton-Chicago leg, you will be in a Superliner train. There is very little room for baggage in these compartments; try to keep with you what you'll need in your backpacks. You can either check your rolling bags or store them in the luggage racks on the lower level of the sleeper car. The latter might be preferable, since you would be able to access your bags if you need anything enroute. From Chicago-NY, you will be in a Viewliner, which is a single-level sleeper. There is no luggage rack, but each compartment does have a space to stow bags. Someone who knows more about such things can tell you how much will fit, but I was able to fit two overnight bags with room to spare. You may need to check in your larger bags for this leg of the trip.

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heyboom:
Heard the term gold dollars...what if anything does this mean.

These are the Sacajawea dollar coins that came out a couple years ago. I can imagine they'd be fun to tip with, and since they're colored gold, it's more clear than it is with the Susan B. Anthony dollars that you're giving out dollar coins instead of quarters. (I say "I can imagine" because whenever I get dollar coins in change from vending machines, I save them for future use in other vending machines. I haven't had them in a tipping situation.)

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heyboom
Member # 2058

Rate Member
Thanks again - very useful information. Reason I asked about the rollon's, was I brought one with me to the station when I purchased our tickets. I asked the ticket master if two would fit ok with two packpacks, he said, no problem.. Is the lower portion available at all times to get to your bags? Appreciate it.
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the storage area on the lower level of a superliner is available at all times, so I'd leave the rollons there. Storing anything more than a backpack in a standard room is tough.

re tipping, when the sleeper attendant does good work and doesn't just disappear after departure, I tip $10 per night. In the dining car I tip 15-20% of the price of the meal shown on the menu as I would in any restaurant.

rick

------------------
_
V Rick Miller Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. ICQ 104290053
Linux - The Freedom to Chose

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comment on an earlier statement about "gold dollars" and using them for tipping: A more unusual option that I always use is $2 bills. Gold dollars may still be interpreted by someone not paying attention as just "pocket change" intially - may not seem like you are tipping as much as you really are. But I noticed that $2 bills get more than a double take! Everybody loves them! I have never had problems getting them from my bank, although if they don't have any in stock, they may make you order $100 worth. (Big deal, they aren't charging you anything - you're just getting your money back in a different form.) Near the holidays, though, our local bank stocks up for those folks who give them at Christmas, so you can get just a few.

One other note - there is plenty of room in the Viewliner standard room for just about anything you can carry. I have pushed the limit - three people (although one was an infant), a garment bag, a diaper bag, two regular sized duffel bags, and a large backpack. (WAY more than the "two small suitcases" the website says you can fit.) And whatever doesn't fit in your Superliner room can go in the luggage racks on the lower level.

Enjoy your trip!

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a Superliner, you can fit up to a 24 inch roll-on on the step used to access the top bunk, and still have room to get a toe or two onto the step. A 25 inch roll-on will not fit. (I measured before I bought my new samsonite roll-on)

Also, the Superliner II step is slightly smaller than the Superliner I step.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boomer, I took a trip to Fullerton, CA from Buffalo, NY on the Lake Shore Limited and the Southwest Chief last February. I rode in coach the whole way but I have a rather extensive travelogue of that trip available on my web site if you would like to get a general idea of what you'll see on those trains. My web site is http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix

Click on the "Amtrak Travelogues" section, its located there along with several other travelogues of trips I've taken.

Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're coming through NY on train 48/49, tell me about it. I'll cheer you up!
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page