RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » LA Union Station Left Luggage question

Author Topic: LA Union Station Left Luggage question
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am flying to LA on Saturday where I will visit with relatives for a few days before taking a train trip. I will take the airport bus to Union Station and would like to leave my bags while I do a bit of sightseeing that day before taking the commuter train out to Claremont. Do you think Amtrak will allow me to check my bag with them for a few hours in advance of my actual trip? If not, do you have any suggestions?
Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently there are no lockers there but if you have a train ticket (even possibly Metrolink to Claremont) then you may be able to leave your bags in the Amtrak baggage area for a fee.

Discussion

Claremont station platform is on the north side of the track, left side in direction of travel from LA. Nice area. Weekend ticket on Metrolink is $10 per day for unlimited travel.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe there is "free" baggage checking at LAUS, but there is a place you can take your bags to be stored for a couple hours for a small fee. They will give you a ticket for the baggage. I know LAUS has changed a lot recently, but the baggage check room used to be way at the other end of the station from the Alameda Street entrance (the "tracks" end) -- go there, then turn left and walk past the outdoor garden area to the baggage room. However, the baggage room may have moved recently -- I don't really know.

Make sure you get back to LAUS in plenty of time to catch your train, since the baggage room is NOT attended all the time. If there is no one there when you return to get your luggage, you will need to go to Station Services and scare up somebody to unlock the baggage room for you.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank RRRICH and Geoff Mayo for the information. I don't mind paying to check it.
Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope your trip goes okay tomorrow. We'd be grateful if you could report back re the baggage situation so we can help anybody else that asks the same question.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just reporting back on the Left Luggage situation.

The location was right near the large waiting room with the leather chairs, adjacent to one of the ourdoor gardens. The attendant did not ask to see my Amtrak ticket. The fee was $4.

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Many thanks, Mary. Hope your trip was enjoyable.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page