RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » TICKET PRICES

Author Topic: TICKET PRICES
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I WAS PRICING TICKETS FROM CHI TO STL FOR 2 SENIORS, AND AM CONFUSED AS TO THE DIFFERENT PRICES. VALUE IS $45.90. FLEXIBLE IS $119.00, AND PREMIUM IS $87.90. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE THAT I CAN DISCERN IS THAT THE FLEXIBLE IS 100% REFUNDABLE. IS AN INCREASE OF $73.10 WORTH THE BET THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE TO CANCEL? OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING?
CLARIFICATION PLEASE.
THANKS.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak, like many other modes of transport, have a bucketing system. That means, for example, there are 25 flexible tickets at $75, another 25 at $100, and another 25 at $119. When the lower buckets sell out then you get the next available bucket - $119 in this case. A quirk of this is that the premium bucket fares are still unsold, while the non-premium are sold, resulting in that apparent illogicality.

As for refundable, Amtrak says this about premium seats:
quote:

Refundable Seats - Premium Service

Acela Express First class and non-Acela Express Business class tickets are fully refundable without a fee if canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin. If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin ("no show"), the ticket is refundable less a 10% refund fee.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Cascades trains it's very common to see Business Class fare that are cheaper than Flexible fares. I think the Flexible fare is the highest priced bucket for Coach fares.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page