RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip to Saratoga

Author Topic: Trip to Saratoga
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back from a 4-leg trip from Palatka, Fl to Saratoga Springs, NY in a roomette on 98/97. The only leg that went off without a hitch was on the Ethan Allan on Tues., 8/9.

Questions about the Ethan Allan - Is it considered a long distance train, a regional train, or a state-subsidized train? If state-subsidized, is it equal between NY and VT? Reason I ask is that there were practically no passengers on it for VT last Tues. Also, why does it stop to discharge passengers at Yonkers and Croton/Harmon? Those stops should be boarding only, in my opinion.

The other three legs were all horror shows; latenesses due to signal problems, broken down freights, and a new one to me, "outlaw crew" on 97 coming down requiring a delay of 2-1/2 hours in Virginia for a replacement operating crew to be located. Jeez! I have a case no. with Customer Relations on that one, because it made us 3-1/2 hours late today coming home, and I don't quite understand how that happens. Didn't the engineer(s) know when they left Washington exactly where and when they would run out of hours? Why didn't Amtrak have the replacement crew waiting in Fredericksburg already?

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to try the Ethan Allan, as apparently they now have funds to add the next segment to Burlington, VT. Then the train might be useful as other than commuter service.

Sorry about the RF&P segment. And they want to add HSR trains to the route.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak sent me a $50 travel voucher, good for a year. Probably won't even use it, but nice gesture on their part. I still don't understand how a crew could go "outlaw" near the start of a trip.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe those crews, at least the engineer, work Florence-RVR and from there to WAS. Since it's short trip they then turn back on another assignment south during same on duty day (I believe a short required 4 hour rest between the two). Even if OT northbound, with a significant delay southbound, they may run out of time.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
I understand, Palmland, but what I don't understand is this:

When the engine crew left Washington (train over an hour late due to signal problems), they knew precisely when they would run out of time and where they would be when that happened, Fredericksburg, VA. Amtrak should have had the replacement crew in place to MEET the train at Fredericksburg, or, if that was not possible, put a fresh crew on in Washington to begin with. Having the train essentially "lay up" in the middle of the night seems not the way to do this.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page