RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » trip

Author Topic: trip
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking of booking a trip for us from Milwaukee to San Antonio. How can it take 10 hours from Dallas to San Antonio? Might be better off renting a car in Dallas or somewhere an drive. Anybody with experience on this trip. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanx

--------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road-Soo Line] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I-35 from Dallas to Austin and Austin to San Anton is full of crazies...

Then there is the joy of driving in the Metroplex.

If you choose to do this, keep your radio on WBAP 820 for traffic bulletins. They give them at least every 15 minutes, every bloody day of the week.

OR
You can Uber to Love Field and take Southwest.

Disclaimer: IRA position in LUV.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the tip. there must be a whole lot of padding in the schedule or it must be some terrible track. 10 hrs southbound and 7.5 northbound. being a train lover you would think thats good. going to have wife with me this time and she doesnt have that train patience if you know what i mean. one of two long distant routes i have never been on. the other being the sunset west of new orleans. goal of trip is to see the texas gulf coast and the alamo and riverwalk in san antonio and maybe deally plaza in dallas. leaning to maybe rent a car in longview tx.

--------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road-Soo Line] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to go to the residential part of the Riverwalk too, and see the old German neighorhood off it called the King William Historic District, lovely homes to walk around.Hopefully still open is the Pioneer Flour Factory/Guenther House (129 E Guenther at S Alamo), very lovely place to stop for tea and cake. Also near here was a very fine and popular Mexican restaurant, El Mirador, 722 S Saint Mary's at King William
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to read the names of those killed in the Alamo. I have long argued that the Texas rebellion against Mexico was truly a civil war that succeeded. The Spanish ancestry populance wanted out from under the Mexican government as much as the immigrants from the US.

Texas Gulf Coast: The mosquitos there are aggressive. You can buy hats in Louisiana with a large mosquito on the front surrounded by the words "Louisiana State Bird” That is equally applicable to the Texas Gulf Coast areas.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
thanks much for the tips. we have enough aggressive black flies and mosquitos up here so I hope we get lucky avoiding them down there.

--------------------

irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Time keeping was great. 1 hr. early to SAS. 45 min early to Chicago on way home. Some of this attributed to a schedule with more padding than a 2hr dateline. Did see the historic neighborhood sojourner talked about and the names at the Alamo. We also went to the Tower of America. No mosquitos at the Gulf by Corpus Christi. Also a big surprise in Dallas when we got off the train for a stretch break the first thing I saw was the book depository building. I did not know that DUS was so close to the JFK site. We had time to take a walk over there. I always wondered if Amtrak used the railroad overpass we have all seen a hundred times when the motorcade sped off. Nice getaway but came back to soon 30 deg. and snowing here today. Oh well.

--------------------

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No mosquitoes!! That is surprising. If at the gulf itself, maybe it was the salt in the air.

The "Triple Underpass" Sorry, wasn't thinking Dallas with your trip. Yes, Amtrak, and everybody else that runs on rails through the center of Dallas goes over this structure. Affects on this structure and approaches and any sight lines in the area was a big issue in the initial planning of the DART line through this area. The issue of the phantom shooter on/behind the "grassy knoll" was also given lots of discussion. (I was working there involved in some of the early DART studies in 86-88 before its political death at that time.) The current DART does build on a lot of those early studies, but there are considerable differences, including it being at grade in Pacific Avenue instead of being in a cut and cover structure under it.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page