RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Interesting source...

Author Topic: Interesting source...
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As many of you know, I am a "Cruise Fanatic". One of my favorite websites is www.cruiselinehistory.com . They often feature other transportation related articles and currently there are two about the Panama Limited trains and one about the Electroliners that ran between Chicago and Milwaukee. It might be worth a look.

We leave on Saturday for Miami and three cruises back to back. The first is to Southampton via Nassau, Bermuda, and Lisbon, the second is to Norway and the third is to the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Guernsey and Iceland. All on the same ship -- Celebrity Eclipse. We'll spend two nights in London and three in Madrid before returning home. The only train we anticipate riding this time will be the Gatwick Express from Victoria Station to LGW for our EasyJet flight to Madrid.

Frank in sunny and, finally, warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
September, my wife and I fly to Athens and take Windstar for our first cruise, a week in the Aegean [Smile]

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, not too many articles below that was one on the Super Chief, pre-Amtrak.

I miss these trains.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

On the New York Social Diary site, they also have a writeup on ATSF 17-18, and... Surprise, Surprise, Surprise ... there's a picture of Rosalind Russell alighting from the Super...

Only the Pullman she's stepping off of is Armour Yellow and Harbormist Gray... and the picture is well cited in Dubin's Some Classic Trains.

She's getting off the City ;-)

--------------------

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, sounds like a great trip. Bermuda is on our bucket list - last time I was there was in high school! Maybe next year - but want to find a ship that docks in Hamilton harbor - that's such an interesting place. I guess the larger ships no longer call there.

Sounds like the forum will be well represented with you overseas this year. Our trip is in June, and GBN and PullmanCo appear to be headed there this summer too.

PullmanCo mentioned Arthur Dubin's books - they really are the best of the streamliner era. I wish he had lived to write a third volumne highlighting some of the secondary trains.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pullman--

Windstar is still on our list. We are still working on getting to the top of the pecking order at Celebrity and then will branch out some. The perks are too good to pass up!

Frank in sunny but cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Palmland--

We will dock at the old Royal Naval Dockyard. There is a ferry from there into Hamilton which we will probably use. We were there last Fall and did a taxi tour of the island.

We are really looking forward to the sea days -- one between Nassau and Bermuda and then five between there and Lisbon and two more before arriving in Southampton at 5:30AM on the 29th. The ship leaves again at 4:00PM and we are considering either the train to Plymouth or a ferry to the Isle of Wight. Much will depend on the procedures we'll have to go through.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Frank,

The perks may be good, but I just do not want to live in a super dense pack city.

We will try a small ship first.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page