TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Rhine/Main/Danube Cruising

Author Topic: Rhine/Main/Danube Cruising
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, railforum hive mind.

Best line and best cruise on the Rhine, Main, and Danube Rivers, please. Target length is 8 days on the trip itself, front and back end can be flexible.

Annnnnnnnd ... GO!

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Mr. Pullman, we have not taken a river cruise yet, although it's definitely on our bucket list. I have heard good things about Avalon river cruises, but have no first hand knowledge.

When we took our sons on the 'grand tour' in early 90's, we spent the night in the fascinating Rhine river town of Rudesheim. The next day we had reservation for a daytime cruise to Cologne, Supposedly that's the most scenic part of the river. I remember that we had a very nice formal lunch with lots of Reisling. Watching the trains scurrying along the river on both sides was fascinating too as were the many castles. This was certainly a lot less expensive than a multi day river cruise, although we did have to make our own travel plans - which I enjoy doing.. At Cologne we connected to a train to the Hook of Holland for the night ferry to Harwich England.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal experience was with Viking. Excellent ships and excellent voyage. Went on all three rivers from Amsterdam to Budapest. That takes 14 days.

Highly recommend river boat cruising but note that it is more expensive than ocean cruising.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Palmland,

Having been stationed in Germany, I love, love, love Rudesheim. No matter where we go cruising, we will make time on the Rhein to visit, if only for the wine cellars!

Miss Vicki,

Our first cruise was on Windstar, malice aforethought (why would I want to be on a floating city of 5000?). Thus, I have an idea of expense.

Thanks for input [Smile]

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Just as an update,

We pulled the trigger on an earlier cruise.

Windstar has a Puerto Caldron-Colon Panama, Canal transit in March marked down by 60% this week (1499 pp from 4200 pp).

We're going [Smile] . Give us a chance to see the KC Southern operated canal train.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you can jump ship and follow its progress by train. It should be fun cruise. I'd be curious as to how much ship time is under power vs under sail.

We have thought about taking a similar one on Star Clippers ships. As one who wallowed around in the Chesapeake on a 24'sailboat, a sailing ship cruise line appeals to us. Like a train, sometimes it's more about the journey than the destination(s).

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Actually, we have to get back from Colon, where Star Breeze debarks, to Cuidad Panama for our backhaul flight.

That may be our chance to ride the very southern Kansas City Southern [Smile]

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

BTW, we chose Ama Waterways, Nuremberg to Vienna, late Nov 2018!

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page