RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What trainset will I be on?

Author Topic: What trainset will I be on?
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all for the responses. I was mistaken in the date I gave as the 22. In actuality I'll be on the November 21 #4. So I've edited my posts.

[This message has been edited by Southwest Chief (edited 11-19-2002).]

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a good trip!!!

Can't tell you much about consists, it seems that a lot of things are swapped in Chicago.

Have a good time anyhow!

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once upon a time, consists were (mildly)somewhat captive to their routes.

You could count on the 5-6 trainsets of the Super Chief/El Capitan (4 in motion and either 1 in cleaning at Chicago or 1 each in turn at Chicago and LA) being the same sets. Outside of the shopping of a car, the sets stayed together.

As I understand it, Amtrak's system has trains 3-4, the Grand Canyons, roll out of Chicago to DC as the Capitol Limited (?? on train title).

The upshot of this, for me last year, was simple and ugly: THE CAR CLEANERS IN DC AND CHICAGO sat down on the job Dec 23 and 24. None of the microphor holding tanks were emptied! By the time the WB got to KC on Christmas eve, my car was all but full. Over Christmas Day, it came down to almost every car save the Lounge had toilets out of service. By San Bernadino on December 26, not a toilet on the train was servicable.

And no, Amtrak did not give a service guarantee for that.

John
who after that trip, saw Amtrak fall a bunch of notches in his opinion.

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superliner
Member # 1670

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superliner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Southwest Chief is the same consist from the Capitol Limited, however, an extra Sleeper and Coach are added to the rear in Chicago during peak travel periods. The train is usually all Superliner I, but a Superliner II does pop up occasionly.
Posts: 33 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cleared

[This message has been edited by Southwest Chief (edited 11-19-2002).]

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there SWC:
I have never worked the SWC, as it is usually staffed out of LA. However, in all the time I have spent out in the Chicago yards, it did seem that most of the time, it was just the inbound #4 that was wyed, and became the next days #3. However, I have also noticed that because of a lot of our equipment shortages, a lot more changes have been happening. Hope this helps!

Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conversely, Allen, I did work the SWC this summer and also rode it as a pax in October and both times all but the rear coach and sleeper had operated as the Capitol LTD into Chicago.

btw, we know each other, send me an email
rmiller22@wi.rr.com

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superliner
Member # 1670

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superliner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Southwest Chief:
Thanks everyone for the info.

It seems that every time I'm on the SWC, that one sleeper is a II and the other is a I. Guess which one I get? I noticed that Superliner II sleepers on the SWC are usually asigned to long haul passengers(LA-Chicago and similar distances). Short haul, as in my case, get the I. Has anyone else noticed this?

[This message has been edited by Southwest Chief (edited 11-17-2002).]

It's mostly a mixed bag of equipment except a huge chunk of Superliner II cars got to the 4 Coast Starlight trainsets and the 2 Auto Train trainsets, plus the Sunset Limited seems to run with mostly Superliner II as it comes out of the Auto Train base.

Posts: 33 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page