TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Costa Rica to Panama Cruise

Author Topic: Costa Rica to Panama Cruise
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I know others like cruise ships,

My wife and I just completed a week on Xanterra Windstar's MV Star Breeze from Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica to Colón, Panama. Superb ship, superb food service, and the Canal transit alone was worth the trip.

Windstar is a small ship line, with vessels carrying 148-212 passengers. Cabins on the sailing ships are around 188 sq ft, on the motor vessels 277 sq feet.

We caught a sale, our price was 1500 pp marked down from 4500 pp. We used Southwest to fly to Costa Rica, our flight cost down was 258 pp...BUT, we travelled on a Wednesday for a Saturday sailing

On the backhaul, we flew first class on Avianca from Oanama City to Chicago at 900pp, saving 300 at least pp over THE COACH RATE on Delta, United, or American.

It was a fantastic late winter warm up.

Those who know me can find my photo albums on Bookface.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great trip, Mr. Pullman. Avianca was not on my radar screen - will check them out.

Next year is our 50th anniversary and we plan on some significant outings. A sailing ship cruise is on the list. Windstar sounds very luxe but I am intrigued by the Star Clipper Cruise line as their ships seem more like a true sailing ship. We’ll probably settle for the 2 hour ferry to the Outer Banks!

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have flown on Avianca once in Business Class. The seats were very comfortable but the service minimal. We prefer COPA if there is a choice. The seats are more like domestic F/C but the service and meals are wonderful. We have done all of that flying using United Mileage Plus miles usually at a rate half what a similar flight on United would be.

Frank in sunny and warming SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page