RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » 2 Movies with Old Steam Locomotives

Author Topic: 2 Movies with Old Steam Locomotives
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not an Amtrak subject, but I just got through watching a couple of interesting movies with old steam locomotives.

The Robert Lee Harris locomotive was used in the movie, "Appaloosa", 2008 with Ed Harris. It was shot near Lamy, NM. Here is a video showing its preparation for the movie. Note the juxtaposition with the Amtrak train at the end:

https://is.gd/sf0eql

Last night was "Tombstone" with Kurt Russell. The Virginia and Truckee No 11 was used in
the early scene where Wyatt steps off the train to horse whip the guy and to greet his brothers.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite rail related movie openings is Rogers & Harts "Pal Joey" with Frank Sinatra.

They did a night departure from a town I'm not sure of (but with a mission style stucco SP station, not a lumber station a la Goleta, CA) with a GS-4, a baggage/RPO, and a couple full length chair cars.

In the second scene, the train arrives at the old Oakland Mole.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so we are clear, UP 844 is 74 years old this year.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page