RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » David Gunn's Trip

Author Topic: David Gunn's Trip
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak President David Gunn has been travelling on several LD and short-haul trains around the US for the past week or so, including the Zephyr, Sunset, Crescent, and on the Capitol Corridor.
He was able to talk with quite a few passengers and employees, and get their insight on how the system is doing, what needs to be improved, and what is going okay.
For a story out of the 'Sacramento Bee', click on this link: http://www.railnews.net/cgi-bin/news/golink.exe?http://www.sacb ee.com/content/news/story/5235438p-6242147c.html and scroll down until you see the story.
Comments?

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 11-19-2002).]

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Ruben
Member # 656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Ruben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone:

I had the honor of greeting and meeting David Gunn at LAUPT (Union Station) on behalf of RailPAC http://www.railpac.org
last Friday evening.

I watched him leave on the SUNSET LIMITED which arrived New Orleans only 8 minutes late (per an e-mail to me).

He arrived back in Washington, D.C. on the CRESCENT, 16 minutes early (again, per an e-mail to me).

Questions, comments?

---"Ken" Ruben---
Director-at-Large
RailPAC

[This message has been edited by Ken Ruben (edited 11-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Ken Ruben (edited 11-19-2002).]

Posts: 16 | From: Culver City, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tessie
Member # 1419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tessie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do notice from the picture at the bottom of the story that he was traveling in a deluxe sleeper.
Posts: 18 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 7 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That makes sense, Tessie.

The Pullman Company, all those years ago, used to market their compartment (same footprint) as a rolling office.

It gives him room to work, access to the facility, and room to converse when topics get deep.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what I have noticed? Any time there are officials on board the train, it seems to be much more on schedule than normal. Seems kinda interesting to me.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured I would post this here, as it has to do with Mr. Gunn: http://www.railnews.net/cgi-bin/news/golink.exe?http://www.harvardmagazine.com/on-line/1102221.html
It's a pretty good article.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honor? Remember who you're talking about.
Honour.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chip
Member # 1733

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, that was a good article. I have a good feeling about President Gunn. He seems to be a no nonsense type of man!
Posts: 16 | From: Richmond, Virginia-USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooops double post! Message deleted

[This message has been edited by Ken V (edited 11-30-2002).]

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amtrak207:
Honor? Remember who you're talking about.
Honour.

Is this because Mr. Gunn's current residence is in Canada?

Even though he is now a Canadian Citizen, David Gunn was born and raised in the United States and has retained his US citizenship as well.

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soerry. Just trying to make a colourful post or two. Mr. Gunn has made references to his home in Nova Scotia in various speeches to Congress. I just hope we don't go wacky on the advertising.

Amtrak. It's a great ride.
Eh?

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-November 18, 2001
P42DC #53063
November 18, 2001-???

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page