RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Service change SAN-SBA

Author Topic: Service change SAN-SBA
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy--

I am getting ready to book a trip for 9/9/18 from SAN to SBA. I notice that most of the trains offered involve a bus from San Diego to Oceanside and then the train from there. What's going on? Maintenance?

We will arrive on Celebrity Infinity at 6:00AM and would like to try for the 8:55AM coach to Oceanside.

Any help will be appreciated.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel3197     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following planned closures are posted on the
"coaster closure" webpage from NCTD North COunty Trnasit district. Looks like 9-9-18 is the FIRST planned closure of the fall season 2018 :

http://www.gonctd.com/coasterclosure/

FUTURE CLOSURES
The following are the tentative weekend dates for the 2018-2019 rail closures. Dates are tentative and may change at any time due to weather constraints or construction needs.

September 8-9
October 13-14
October 20-21

January 12-13
January 26-27
March 2-3
March 9-10
October 19-20
October 26-27

----Daniel

Posts: 283 | From: Palo Alto,CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Daniel. That answers my question. I guess we'll have our first experience with an AMTRAK Thruway Coach.

We COULD get off the ship the day before in Santa Barbara but to do so we would have to pay a fee for the cruise line to do the required paperwork. And we'd miss another sailaway and night on board.

Frank in sunny and HOT SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you enjoy your cruise, Frank. I am curious what cruises stop in Santa Barbara.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Sojourner--

We usually get around 10 ships in the Spring and a similar number in the Fall. Most are doing Coastal cruises or repositioning cruises from/to Alaska and from/to Mexico/Panama Canal/Caribbean.

We are on Celebrity Infinity and will do the last Alaska cruise of the season and then a coastal from Vancouver to San Diego. The ship will then do a series of cruises from San Diego through the Canal to Fort Lauderdale and back.

I know we will enjoy the cruises. We have now done more than 50 on several lines since I was talked into doing a two night one from Vancouver to San Francisco in 2006. We will soon reach the top level in Captains Club at Celebrity and their sister Azamara so I predict most of our cruises will be with them in the future.

Frank in warm and dark SBA

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank,

I saw a Celebrity liner in the Aegean during our honeymoon, whilst we were embarked in MSY Wind Star. Damn, the thing was huge. I counted 11 passenger decks above the hull.

Are giant ships really that much more fun than small ships? We so far have loved the intimacy of Windstar Cruises...

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Pullman--

I'm betting that was Celebrity Reflection. It has one more deck than the other Solstice Class ships. We were on her in the Aegean this Spring.

The smallest ships we've been on were 750 pax so I really can't compare. Reflection carries about 2800 pax and is really well designed. You rarely feel there is a crowd.

Once we reach Zenith, the top of the ladder at Celebrity, we are going to give Windstar a try. They have some great last minute, travel industry offers.

Frank in cloudy and warm SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page