RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sort Of A Railroad Topic

Author Topic: Sort Of A Railroad Topic
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other day I noticed some old VHS cassettes, on my bookshelf, which give video presentations of various excursion railroads. Among them, the Strasburg and Georgetown Loop trains.

I also noticed an old VHS tape on some of the concert performances of the late Jacqueline du Pre, which I would like to view, again.

The problem is I no longer have a VHS cassette player.

I think I've seen some VHS players at outfits like Hammacher Schlemmer and Brookstone, but the prices, from what I recall, are excessive. Another possibility would be to convert the VHS tapes to DVD, but some of the advertised services for converting VHS to DVD are a bit expensive.

Any suggestions?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goodwill usually has a stockpile of VHS players. They may not be top quality, but they are cheap. Yard sales are another good place to find used VHS players.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Vincent. Good suggestions.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yukon -- several months ago, I purchased Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 software, for <$100 at Best Buy. Since then I have converted my last 8 or 9 AMTRAK trip videotapes into video files on the computer, then I used my existing Cyberlink Power Director 12 software to convert the video files to DVD's, and both programs worked pretty well!

With the Roxio program, you can also convert VHS files directly to a DVD, but you don't get as much editing leeway by doing it that way

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page