RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » please can explain conductor/attendants?

Author Topic: please can explain conductor/attendants?
stuff
Member # 2052

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for stuff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can any of you highly informed kids tell me where to find the ...how do I put this...the rundown of employees i.e., conductor, yes, is like the captain perhaps overseeing the car attendants in coach and the attendants for the sleeper car? Does each coach car have it's own attendant?? Many thanks for your time ...
Posts: 4 | From: Toluca Lake, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 7 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conductor: Responsible for the overall operation of the train. This especially includes the management of passenger fares and tickets.

Pre-Amtrak (and indeed, for quite a while into the Amtrak era), the conductor was also the face of the railroad company to the traveller.

Brakeman: A leftover from the pre-airbrake and early airbrake days. Responsible for the mechanical operation of the braking system; sets handbrakes as needed; helps cut-in or cut-out cars as required during switching movements. These days, on a passenger train, he assists the conductor with management of fares and tickets.

Flagman: Protects the train to its rear from accidental over-runs of signals. Places out flares and torpedoes to warn trains behind that his/her train has made an unscheduled stop.

Engineer and Fireman: Locomotive crew.

Porter (aka sleeper attendant): Responsible for car service in his sleeping car. Makes down and puts away berths. Keeps car clean. Manages linen. Serves as a waiter for room service...

Hope that helped.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stuff:
Can any of you highly informed kids tell me where to find the ...how do I put this...the rundown of employees i.e., conductor, yes, is like the captain perhaps overseeing the car attendants in coach and the attendants for the sleeper car? Does each coach car have it's own attendant?? Many thanks for your time ...

The conductor is in charge of the safe operation of the train. He usually lets car attendants handle their own problems unless they ask him for help, but he is the ultimate on board authority. There is one attendant per sleeper but as many as 4 coaches assigned to a coach attendant. Depending upon how many coaches are in the train...can be two, three or four per attendant.

There may or may not be an assistant conductor and/or assistant engineer, but the titles fireman, brakeman and flagman are from a long gone era and no longer apply.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Conductor...is the ultimate on board authority.

When Amtrak had Chiefs of On-board Services, I assume they fell somewhere in between the car attendants and conductors in the chain of command.

Though conductors have the final word, if a customer receives an unfavorable response from a conductor, one could appeal to the next conductor that comes aboard when the crew changes. I was aboard one train where most of the coaches were packed, and everyone was doubled up, even though one car was empty. One conductor didn't want anyone sleeping in the empty car, but the next conductor who came along after 10:00pm didn't mind at all.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 11-27-2002).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Toy implies something else you may want to know. The coach and sleeping car attendants, part of the service crew typically work for the entire run of the train, as well as the dining car and lounge attendants.

The conductor is part of the operating crew, not the service crew. The operating crew; conductor, a possible assistant conductor, and one or two engineers work a single shift, then are replaced by a new crew.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are correct about the Chief of On-Board Services. They were turned into a title called Product Line Supervisors, and but these folks didn't work the whole run of the train, but were still sort of intermediaries between attendants and conductors....and now they are almost completely phased out. So it is back to just conductors and attendants for the most part.

Allen

Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page