RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » My short Southwest Chief trip (#4)

Author Topic: My short Southwest Chief trip (#4)
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who might have seen in other posts, I planned to take the Southwest Chief from Fullerton to Alberquerque(ABQ) and back again during the Thanksgiving holiday week. The train doesn't go to our final destination, Durango Colorado, so my family had to rent a car in ABQ and drive the rest (about 220 miles or so)

Eastbound #4

My family arrived in Fullerton about an hour before the scheduled departure of the Southwest Chief (#4). While my dad was checking some baggage, I went out to the platform to watch the action. There was the usual fast eastbound freight that comes before #4. As the departure time approached a Disneyland style announcement stated that #4 was on its way. I knew it was close when the baggage cart came to the platform. Then #4 arrived about ten minutes late, from my experience this is fairly normal.

We were assinged to sleeper 0431. My Mom, Dad and youngest sister in the Family room, and my other sister and I in room 3. The sleeper (32027) was a Superliner I that still had the retro orange apholstery. It looked as though it had been a long time since its last overhaul. The other sleeper (32011) was pretty much the same.

The consist was no surprise to me since Eric posted the consist of #3 the previous day. The #4 that leaves LA is the exact same train. Even the locos were all the same!

Our sleeper attendent (Jackie) was extremely good. She was friendly and always seemed to be around if you needed her. One thing she did amazed me as I have never experienced this ever and I've traveled Amtrak countless times. She had placed laminated flower prints in each bathroom! This small act really was nice. It gave the car a very pleasent atmosphere. And the coffee and refreshment area also had flowers. Jackie made the car trully unique and beautiful. I appreciate the small extra touches that make a trip more pleasent. Jakie just seemed to be a cut above other attendents I've had. Good job Jackie!

The dining car was also an old Superliner I (38001). It looked as though it might have had some overhaul in its life time. I could not imagine that it never has being the second diner built! Anyway, the meals still are a highlight of any train trip and even with the standardized menu, the dinner was still good. I ordered the filet mignon. It was excelent. It seems that the old Southwest Chief menu was rather similar to the new standardized one. As all of the entres looked and sounded similar. Breakfast was also good.

The only thing out of the ordinary came near the end of this journey. Near Grants, New Mexico, I heard on my scanner that a freight had gone into emergency braking. #4 was near this and immediatly had to slow as we passed the freight. The dispatcher asked #4 if they could see what might have caused this. #4 radioed back that a hose looked to have been stretched. Later, the conductor said on the PA system that the short delay was due to a freight train. He didn't say anything about emergency brakes

Overall this eastbound trip was excelent! We remained fairly close to on-time and there were no major delays or problems. However, the return, westbound trip was unfortunately not as good. I'll post about this one soon. (I didn't want to have this be too long of a post)

If there are any questions about this eastbound #4 trip or anything about the Southwest Chief please do ask

Matt

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you enjoyed it. Do they still have the native American guide in New mexico?

Back in Calif...did you leave your car for the duration at Fullerton, or did you get a ride to the station? (That area seems ok for overnight parking etc)

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad someone reminded me about the Native American Guide. Yes the SWC normally has the guide. However, on my eastbound trip, he did not get on at Gallup. The lounge attendant had previously announced to come to the lounge for the show. Then the guide didn't show! The lounge attendant then humerously said over the PA, that he must have been kidnapped and there would be no guide for this trip. Then I overheard one car attendent jokingly say "I bet he's in the lounge with the attendant having a few drinks." So, on my trip, there was no guide and I'm asuming there wasn't one on the #3 that night. But normally there is a guide. Something dating back to the old Santa Fe railway, neat!

As for parking...
We always leave the car parked in the parking structure at Fullerton. The station agent will give you a special "ticket" that allows you to park there for a long time. So far we haven't had any bad things happen. I remember when we'd have to drive to Pomona way back when to catch the Southwest Chief, before it took the Fullerton route. We would always drive the oldest car to Pomona, just in case. That station wasn't in the best of neighborhoods, if you know what I mean

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you had a fine trip. . . so far anyway.

When I took the westbound Southwest Chief a few months ago, the train was running so late that the Native American guide never appeared. I guess he/she didn't see the point of pointing out scenery in the dark.

As for those chillingly pleasant "Disneyland-style" announcements. . . I've heard them at several West Coast train stations. If my memory serves me right, they use them on the Pacific Surfliners as well. Very Californian.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 12-04-2002).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SW Chief at this time of year and for the trip from CA to ABQ has the handicap of
darkness predominating. The summer is much better for scenery and sunrise (#4) near Flagstaff or sunset (#3) west of Gallup. Also
#3 down through Cajon Pass may be spectacular
particularly if running a little late.
The current issue of TRAINS has a great story about the new signal system which can be viewed from the lounge car as the train traverses curves and crests hills. With a scanner and the double track operations a true operations buff can spend all day and night too observing.

Awaiting your follow up for the #3 trip.

RRCHINA

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you had a good Train 4 trip, and I hope that Train 3 wasn't TOO bad!
About the consist- do they just wye the whole darn train at LA? I figured they'd switch out the units, but I guess they're in a "pool", and work the same route most of the time. It must make things quite a bit easier!
Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you had a good attendant- they make a big difference!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric,

That's how they do it, wye the whole thing. The interesting thing about the locomotives is that on both my #4 and #3 trips, the lead unit was the same! But every other unit was different. It was #147. I have a theory but I'm sure someone out there knows the real reason.

Since the Southwest Chief uses the old Santa Fe mainline, it also uses the old Automatic Train Stop (ATS) device along certain 90mph sections of the route. I noticed that loco #147 has the ATS shoe and I guess there are a few dedicated locos that have ATS capabilities. Thus #147 and a select few routinely lead the Southwest Chief.

But I could be wrong, as I think any Genesis loco can be fited with the ATS shoe. Maybe it was just a chance coincidence.

Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, we gotta compare notes sometime..I've never seen anything west of Missouri on the Southwest Chief, but I've got the scenery from La Plata, Mo. to Chicago almost memorized by now..it's all green and wet, how was the other end?..

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although the West is often associated with high heat and cacti, most of where I'm at in Northern AZ is on "a mountain" (7000ft). On my last trip in September on the Chief, we boarded right after a rain storm, and everything was green and glistening. Crossing the NM/CO border, the rain stopped, and everything was VERY green. There were awesome clouds for the whole trip, and I got some nice photos out the train windows.
Returning on Train 3, the rain picked up again in NM, and we had to follow a slow order because the lightning had knocked out some of the signals. There was a double rainbow near Grants, NM, followed by a very colorful sunset.
There is a great variety of scenery in the CA, AZ, NM, CO trip. In just a 6-hour period (FLG-ABQ), you pass through ponderosa pine to lava flows, NM high desert, rivers, Native American reservations and a thousand other things!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW...sounds like I got sent the wrong direction..
Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page