RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "Saving " long-distance rail

Author Topic: "Saving " long-distance rail
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me "toss" this out for consideration.

I realize the question is "hypothetical" but , I AM interested in everyone's response:
(and I know this will be "difficult"):

IF there were TWO individuals who had enough "influence ?" to do the MOST to actually save long-distance rail from future elimination , WHO would those two individuals be ?

MY two choices would be Tommy Thompson and Senator Kaye Hutchinson from Texas.

SOMEBODY is going to have to "step up to the plate" and really be willing to FIGHT to save this wonderful "national treasure."

Who do you think it could BE ???

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about McCain and Vranich? JJUUSSTTT KKIIDDIINNGG!!! I'm sorry about that. This may be a major discussion someday. I think that Thompson and any senator whose 1: State has long-distance service. 2: Who realizes how important it is for tourism. 3:Is willing to spend money on Amtrak, and 4: Wants to decongest highways, airports and give the travelling public more choice.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an old Vulcan proverb which says "Only Nixon could go to China." Maybe McCain and Vranich are not so far fetched after all.

But I would have to say 1. The President of the United States, and 2. the governor of California. Regardless of who occupies these offices, they are in better positions to influence policy than any other individuals.

Among other things the President can appoint pro-rail people to cabinet positions (and Bush has), and he can present a "vision", and propose specific policies that will get everyone's attention, to get the ball rolling (but Bush hasn't).

The Governor of California oversees a state that often sets trends for the rest of the nation. Gray Davis has done a great deal to help promote rail, and he has recently proposed a 10 (or is it 20) year funding plan. He also appointed the first transportation director ever who has a background in mass transit instead of highway engineering. If California, land of the freeway and home of the drive, can get people out of their cars and onto trains(and we have) then any state can.

As for individuals in Washington, I would say Kay Baily Hutchison and Trent Lott. None of Amtrak's critics will listen to any Democrats, but maybe they'll listen to their fellow Republicans.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course Thompson is gone now, but he might still (and probably will) have high influence on development of high-speed lines.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dee
Member # 5

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I haven't kept up that well, but why in the world is John McCain so adamantly opposed to Amtrak and train travel? Has he ever expressed any reason, legitimate or otherwise?
Posts: 18 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the problem with politics. They never give any reasons for their actions.
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got one reason McCain's opposed to Amtrak & it could be that Amtrak doesn't even serve Phoenix except by some round about late night or early morning bus service. I'd be willing to wager popular outcry from the Honorable senator from Arizona's district would prompt him to support Amtrak if they'd get a &$%#@&&% Train into Phoenix, pardon the explitive.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a few years since the 'Sunset' called at Phoenix. The UP wants to pull up about 76 miles of track between Yuma and Phoenix, but Amtrak and high-speed rail supporters want to bring the track up to high-speed standards (which would probably be about 90 MPH). The 'Southwest Rail Corridor', which they call it, would connect LA with Tucson, with the route heading into New Mexico. This corridor would run through Phoenix, and would most-likely be used by thousands of travelers (business or otherwise). I think McCain should back this up (if he's even heard about it), and maybe then he'll become a supporter.
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an uphill battle to save long-distance trains. Compared to air/auto, LDT's are slow, inflexible, and PUBLIC - modern Americans value privacy, but the complaints re air services are still balanced by the speed in most minds. For the minority of Americans who both THINK and have an interest in geography/history - we're sometimes called 'heritage tourists' - LDT's are great, even better if you can introduce KIDS to their great country. But, time is needed to use them. .. I voted for Sen. McCain for President for his courageous pro-life stand (not the first of his courage) and plain speaking, but his election would also have "kicked him upstairs" where he wouldn't do so much damage to Amtrak, which is funded by Congress, not the President.
Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To continue - both Sen. McCain and late AZ Sen. Goldwater were pilots and know what planes can do; distances in West are great and folks inclined to fly. Many Westerners buy into the "rugged individualist American" image - private enterprise meets all needs, etc. (even though their economies are disproportionately dependent on government air bases, government national parks, government public land oil/timber leases, government dams for hydro power, etc.
Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If any of these ideas move forward expect a vigorous fight from Texas-based Southwest Airlines. The management of that airline consistently fights rail projects in Texas, and the areas you are discussing (Calif.-Ariz.-New Mexico) are also important to Southwest's business. Southwest seems to be well-connected with DC.

As for McCain's opposition to Amtrak, I believe it is Amtrak's financial difficulties and not the lack of service to Phoenix that concerns him. I just don't think he sees Amtrak as being "relevant".

Earlier news articles about Phoenix indicated that the city was apathetic towards Amtrak, and that attitude would not likely change if the Sunset was rerouted back through town and increased to daily frequency.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me know if this would turn McCain's opposition around.: If Congress would provide Amtrak with some money to spend, maybe Amtrak would be in a better financial situation. Politics (and NBC) blame all of Amtrak's problems on Amtrak, instead of taking the blame themselves. In the June issue of TRAINS, author Bob Johnston includes a quote from McCain in his Amtrak story. McCain says: "Any objective observer will tell you we will have the NEC and California, but rail service nowhere else will be viable."
Mr. Johnston then continues to explain how these are nearly the only two places where capital investment dollars have actually been spent.

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I never bought into McCain'a "straight talk." His criticizm of Amtrak, as with most congressmen on the right side of the aisle, is based on a superficial analysis of the issues. On the surface, Amtrak appears to conflict with the standard right win ideology: that the government should not be providing services and market forces alone should determine what happens.

Of course most of us here know that the playing field for transportation infrastructure in this country is way out of whack, and until things are leveled out, we will never know whether rail can compete on its own.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric said:
"Let me know if this would turn McCain's opposition around.: If Congress would provide Amtrak with some money to spend, maybe Amtrak would be in a better financial situation. ...In the June issue of TRAINS, author Bob Johnston includes a quote from McCain in his Amtrak story. McCain says: "Any objective observer will tell you we will have the NEC and California, but rail service nowhere else will be viable."
Mr. Johnston then continues to explain how these are nearly the only two places where capital investment dollars have actually been spent."

The problem with train travel is that, on the basis of profitability, it is not viable anywhere, including the NEC and California corridor. We are of the mind-set that AMTRAK (or its successor) must make money to survive,. and as long as we have this mind-set, the trains will die a slow death.

Even the good services, such as METRA in Chicago, are subsized. And, if we as a nation want good rail service, we should subisidize it accordingly.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Howard
Member # 810

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Howard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think senator Edwards from North Carolina would be a good choice for one of the TWO influential members.

He is a fresman senator but is making quite a name for himself, even being mentioned as a democratic presidential candidate.

Meanwhile, for those who don't know, the State of North Carolina is a huge supporter of Amtrak. In fact the state owns two of their own trains called "The Carolinian" and "The Piedmont". Both of these use the new FP59A locomotive. In addition, the state has set aside funds for a project which will renovate some rails and railbed from Salisbury to Asheville in the mountains, which would lead to new Amtrak service to Asheville, which was the most requested destination according to a recent Amtrak survey of it's passengers.

In addition, Dolly Parton of Dollywood fame, has requested that North Carolina, Amtrak and the State of Tennessee, consider extending that new line from Asheville, to Pigeon Forge (home of Dollywood) and a huge tourist mecca in the Smoky Mountains. She and the Siever county officials of Tennessee, have even offered to PAY FOR 50% OF THAT LINE!

Maybe I should also nominate Dolly Parton!

Anyway, I sure hope that railroad passenger service is saved as well as the freight lines. Too much traffic on the nations highways at this time.

That's my input folks!

Posts: 6 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for pointing that out...I did notice that North Carolina had several trains on the timetable. I did not know how "popular" the trains are, though. When I rode the Carolinian between Alexandria and Petersburg VA the train was well patronized.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone for some GREAT comments so far concerning my original question. I have enjoyed reading them all so far and hope to hear even more.

Long-distance passenger-rail service is a NATIONAL TREASURE , in my opinion. Just think how much influence it had on the expansion of our country back , early on !

Long-distance rail-travel is such a "passion" of mine that I can hardly bear the thought of its eminent elimination---because let's be honest , if any passenger-rail DOES survive it will only be in the form of short "commuter" corridors.

What really distresses me is that there are literally thousands of individuals in this country who HAVE used Amtrak for long-distance trips , and have REALLY enjoyed it , BUT do not realize that Amtrak's future is VERY uncertain. Thus, these individuals do not express there feelings to Congress.

Perhaps when Congress really DOES "liquidate" Amtrak (perish the thought), more supporters will "step-up" and let Congress know it is needed and appreciated. But by then , it will probably be too late.

I have met SO many people during my trips who LOVE there rail experience , yet are "aghast" when I tell them the FACTS about how little Congress really supports Amtrak. They simply PRESUME that Amtrak will always be available as a travel option.

ANYHOW, let's keep some names coming.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know why McCain is against rail.

I am sure his wife was on the Sunset Limited when it derailed in Sealy Texas about a year before the election. I remember hearing Cindy McCain wife of so and so senator.

I may be worng, but I remember when McCain was in the primary thinking "oh so that is who's wife was on the train".

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right. His wife was on the train, along with (I think) his son. I don't know if McCain was against Amtrak before this or not.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The National Corridors site had a couple of great articles. They are rather lengthy, but they are both relaistic and optimistic about the future of passenger rail. Go to http://www.nationalcorridors.org/df05212001.shtml and read "A 'cockamamie' future for Amtrak?" and Coston says being 'brutally realistic'
is required to keep Amtrak afloat
The latter talks about getting away from "saving" Amtrak and start "building" a railroad.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

Dee
Member # 5

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Dee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Ted Turner could be persuaded to get a new "cause"--i.e. Amtrak. Just kidding! but who knows? Sure would be nice to have someone with lots of bucks backing rail since the government seems to back every other mode of transportation EXCEPT rail.
Posts: 18 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak Viewliner
Member # 842

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak Viewliner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lautenburg (D-NJ) would've been good if he still were a senator

------------------
Amtrak Viewliner

Posts: 16 | From: Livingston, NJ, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page