RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Train annoucements

Author Topic: Train annoucements
steve1977
Member # 2123

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for steve1977     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, last question tonight (promise!!!), does anyone know how a modern station train announcer works? I take it most are automatic? With manual intervention as appropriate as schedules rarely run 100% perfect everyday (hard to accomplish perfectly each time).

Do they use tape recorders or did they in the past? Or do modern ones store the daily annocements on ROM chips and play back according to a built in electronic timetable?

Once at a station I noticed that the train annocement had been speeded up? Why did they provide this tempo adjustment facilty? could it be if the annocment was put out a bit late a better way of allowing people to hear the full annocement b4 boarding a train they was unsure of where it was heading?

I take it that all modern customer information systems are now computerised with manual updates if neccassary. How does the information system display board know that a train is going to be say 2 mins late? Does it find out this from the variuos automatic modern radio systems used on the lines similar to the one for automatic control of say metro line trains without drivers where trains know where they currently are and more importantly where they should be at that moment in time?

cheers to all...

Posts: 16 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TR-00
Member # 1494

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for TR-00     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At Philadelphia, Trenton, Newark and Penn Station NY, the announcing is done by live human beings.

Posts: 12 | From: Hammonton, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Robot" announcements are common in Western Europe, where stations tend to be either relatively new or recently updated.

But with few exceptions (i.e. a handful of stations in southern California, I believe), virtually every Amtrak station uses live human voices. The same goes for the announcements you'll hear while you're actually traveling on an American train.

In recent years, the rapid transit and subway systems in a few U.S. cities have begun using (or at least experimenting with) digital announcement and electronic noticeboard systems. So have some suburban commuter rail lines.

But it's not widespread -- and certainly not "standard equipment" as it is at most stations of, say, the London Underground.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 12-06-2002).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Flagstaff- along with, I'm assuming, most intercity stations, the station attendant announces the train's arrival a few minutes before it gets in. 'Automatic' train status boards are usually set by the attendant, and they are on a 'loop' until new info is received and the attendant changes the board. I think that the station attendant receives word of a train's location from the dispatcher, or the train itself.
Besides train status, the attendant will tell passengers where they need to board, and all the usual safety info.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the Pacific Surfliner route, which Dilly alludes to, they have an automated announcement that sounds very "Disneyland-like." They used to have a live person doing it, which I liked much better. The new announcements are overly sugar-coated and generally lack that "traditional" railroad feel. It sounds more like the intro to a Disneyland ride than a REAL train announcement.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the UK the automated train announcers (Digital Doris or Electronic Ernie are favorite nicknames of mine ;-) ) are driven off TRUST (a national database of train running information) and the train describer (which tags the train's headcode to the track the train is currently occupied).

There are some major problems with the current Great Western ones. Example board:

Time now: 10:54
1st 10:50 LONDON PADD expected ON TIME
2nd 10:54 WESTBURY expected 11:03
3rd 10:57 PORTSMOUTH expected 10:58

And that's a typical display - third train coming before the 2nd, trains which are obviously late by the current time reported as on time.

They also don't take into account: bi-directional lines, section running times, headways, or reality.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Digital systems seem to only work effectively when the trains are running according to plan.

In some parts of Europe and Japan, they still do. Trains arrive and depart so precisely on schedule that you can set your watch to them. That's why I doubt that such a system will ever be widely used on Amtrak (or, for that matter, the New York City subway system).

In Amtrak's case, the distance between stops is often too huge. A train will speed up, slow down, lose time, gain time, and then lose it again -- all before it reaches the next station. If you installed a digital display at say, Toledo, the arrival time would be constantly refreshing itself, shifting back and forth. It would drive waiting passengers crazy.

As for installing those creepy digital voice announcements in train stations across the nation... It's the only thing I hope Amtrak will never have enough money to do.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 12-07-2002).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the earlier posts, the Surfliner announcements are too "Disney-ish". The Fullerton station announces all Amtrak trains (but ignores Metrolink).

The Surfliner trains also had an on board announcement too, but it is not used consistently. On one journey it was constantly late, i.e. announcing "Now Arriving _________" after leaving each station. After three or four of these late announcements the train crew turned the machine off. They had to resort to the 'old fashioned way', walking through each car announcing the next stop...I agree that old fashioned way is the preferred way to go.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out hear in Southern California, we have the "Disneyland" announcements. Maybe because they think we're used to this type being so close to Disneyland.

I once saw on EBay a CD that said it contained train annoncements used by Amtrak stations. Perhaps these were the "Disneyland" announcements. It got quite pricy so I bet it was rare, not for the public item.

Fullerton is an interesting exception. It uses both Disneyland style and live human announcements when more information then can be provided by the recording is needed. I'm not sure about the Surfliners, but for the Southwest Chief almost always both are used.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Canada I think VIA still uses the same pre-recorded station announcements introduced by Canadian National in the 1960's (substituting VIA for CN) with the same male voice saying the english portion and the same female voice doing the french part. These are generic recordings which are sometimes augmented with live announcements made by the station attendant when there's something out of the ordinary.

On board announcements over the PA system are often garbled and unintelligible. As MPALMER said the "old fashioned way is the preferred way to go".

[This message has been edited by Ken V (edited 12-07-2002).]

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my trip last summer, the N-bound Surfliner from SAN to LAX used "Disneyland-style" announcements on board all the way to Fullerton -- after Fullerton, the train also used a live human being announcer, who made some cute comments about the "scenic highlight of this trip" being the crossing of the Los Angeles River just before LAUPT. He also, of course, had information on connecting trains (the Coast Starlight in my case) I believe some of the "Disneyland-style" announcements were in fact made just as the train was stopping at some stations, or possibly just as the train was leaving, as someone else on this thread alluded to.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
On my trip last summer, the N-bound Surfliner from SAN to LAX used "Disneyland-style" announcements on board

How do these things work on the surfliner? Does a crew member punch a button to start a station announcement or are they automatically timed in some way, if so, to what?

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my uncles made his living announcing billions of trains at Penn Station. That's still how it is done, although he is retired. You can't synthesize a New York accent.

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-November 18, 2001
P42DC #53063
November 18, 2001-???

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak Viewliner
Member # 842

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak Viewliner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know NJ Transit has digital announcement equipment on its Comet IV's, Comet II Rebuilds, and I guess Comet V's. They don't always use them though. Also the delay announcements at NJ Transit Stations are automated.
Posts: 16 | From: Livingston, NJ, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superliner
Member # 1670

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superliner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boston, South Station and Westwood, Route 128 Station and Providence have automated voices which I think are just recorded on a CD and played over the intercom. I found one on e-bay about a year ago.
Posts: 33 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The automated announcements at Los Angeles Union Station are fairly easy to hear and understand, and I like the "attention" chimes...but I wish they still followed the "old school" practice of making at least one announcement where they named all the stops on the train. Yes, I know that would be a very long announcement for the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle, but that's the whole point; however, they don't even name all the stops on the Surfliner announcements.

Now, if anyone from Amtrak is reading this and would like to hire me to record new announcements in L.A., I did some radio announcing in college, I know how to pronounce "La Junta" and "Klamath Falls," and I work cheap because I'm not in any union.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Good afternoon, may I have your attention please. This is the first call for Amtrak train number 571, the Pacific Surfliner. Train No. 571 will arrive shortly, and will be boarding for Anaheim, Santa Ana, Irvine, San Juan Capistrano, Oceanside, Solana Breach, and San Diego. Visitors and baggage helpers are not allowed on board. Have a pleasant trip, and thank you for choosing Amtrak."

That's the automated announcement at Fullerton (plus or minus a few words). Again, too sterile, too "Disney." I was once in the station when the SW Chief came in, and a real person made the announcement, which included naming off all the stations from Fullerton to Chicago. Often when the Surfliners are late, a live human voice will announce the arrival of the train, rather than the automatic voice.

Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you'll pardon a tongue-in-cheek reply, I wrote a humorous column about the computer that does the announcements on Virginia Railway Express. The column, "Beguiling Train Voice Beckons," is online at www.stevedunham.50megs.com/OfftheDeepEnd.html#trainvoice

It originally appeared in the Fredericksburg, Virginia, newspaper.

Steve Dunham

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on an NJ Transit train shortly after the new/refurbished cars were put into service. The pleasant female programmed voice announced the next station stop, which wasn't a stop on this particular run (I don't know if they have only one programmed announcement per route, or if the conductor didn't know how to change the announcement). Anyway, we then heard the conductor get on the PA and say, "Don't listen to her, [such-n-such] is the next stop." The programmed announcements are nice, since they are always played and very audible, as opposed to announcements either yelled by the conductors or inaudible because of noise near the microphone. Also, there is a small screen above the door in each car with the name of the next stop, so you can see if you missed or couldn't hear the announcement. It's not that way in all NJT trains, but it's a good start.
Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fumes5
Member # 1437

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fumes5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the Surfliner/Metrolink lines most of the stations (That have a staff Member) there is a set of cameras that the staff look at to see if a train is approaching, but that is only for amtrak. The metrolink trains are anounced by an automated sighn system that is triped by the train approaching, there are also strobes on the signs so that passengers know wich trak to go to. At unmanned stations the train has speakers on the exterior and annoucments are made by the conductor.

-Fumes5

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I am new here and have been reading the old post this topic is very interesting to me regarding the announcements. I was in Europe and heard the bells in the French Railway stations. What is the bells called? How can I download the bells? Is their a certain name to the bells? In Union Staion in LA they use bells too what is this bell called?

As for automated announcements I think it can be setup that when the train hits a loop about 5 miles from the station it can automatically activate the announcement system. I think the new hotbox detectors are linked to the computer system in trains to update the system. Can't announcments be automated in this fashion?

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like the surfliners new automated one, I guess it does sound "disneyland"

(THEME)--May I have your attention please, we are now arriving into: Fullerton. Thank you for choosing Amtrak.

I like that, call it "disneyland" but it gives the train a better feel instead of some 60 year old man saying, "fullerton, fullerton..please detrain for passengers getting off in fullerton.

Thats just me.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If those of you who dont live in So-Cal want to hear that "Disney-Land" Anouncement Chime go to my sight you'll hear it on the Home Page- it cuts off while the page loads so just Scroll Down and click Play- Requires Apple Quik Time -or- Windows Media Player installed on you Computer to work, High Band-With is not needed, it loads fast evan for those with Dial-Up

Amtrak Pages-Click Here

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ
EMD455@Blue-Rail.com

[This message has been edited by JONATHON (edited 01-22-2005).]

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INFO REGARDING SURFLINER ANNOUNCEMENTS AND RELATED SOCAL STATIONS.

These announcements were made "in house" by an Amtrak employee who also worked as a locomotive engineer and disc jockey/radio announcer. You would know his name but I won't say it. The recordings are digital. On board the Surfs, there is a control panel inside the electrical locker in the Lounge Car. On that panel, a crew member will input the train number, such as 775, which will then program the announcement system. It knows which trains terminate in LAX, or continue on to SBA or SLO. In stations, there is a console where an agent can manually input the command for an announcement, such as an arrival or departure, or that "southbound trains may be delayed" or track assignments such as at FUL, OSD or SOL where there are two tracks. By producing these recordings in house, Amtrak saved a lot of money. The Amtrak employee who did the work has a recording studio in his house. And when the onboard system malfunctions, crews will sometimes shut it off to avoid confusing the passengers and do the announcements verbally.

Hope this helps answer some of these questions.

I too like the bells at LA Union; nice European touch and as far as I know, bells are just called bells.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you mean the "ding-dong" type of sound just before the announcement, then we call that "chimes" - as in bell chimes.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats very intereasting RRbob.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of an ice cream truck lol.
Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
BTW Can I get a CD of all the automated announcements? That would be so cool play over an announcement system. I wish I could put a PA in my house and have my computer setup to play the files. What do I need to set this up at my house in terms of the counsel? I love the chimes and all. It would be so funny having my guest hearing these announcements at unannounced times. So maybe I could have the announcement say Train 773 is ready for boarding to Fullerton.
I could change it every day to my heart content. Oh and I could even make an announcement saying"No smoking in the train station" etc.

Or even better I could hook up monitors to display the track and destination info and change that around. So I could have it display The Coastal Starlight is 20 minutes late. That would be so cool to do this at my house.

I assume the announcements are recorded in ProTools on a Macintosh and saved as a .wav file or .mp3 file with the chimes added as one track and the voice on another track. Then if I am not mistaken this could be saved in a playlist like on Windows Media Player and the agent would click the file to have it broadcast over the PA system. Is this the way it's done? Becasue you say it's done in a recording studio.

travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Another thing you could help me with how could I put music and then have the PA system automatically do the page with the announcement at my house? And how can I setup the system to play the"Non Smoking" message every 10 minutes. At airports they always play the security message every 15 minutes so I want to make cool announcements like"Keep your kids off the track" etc. Hey I could have a train depot at my house lol. And after each announccement I could have sound effects of a real train approaching.

Is there a way to get the bell that sounds when the doors are open on the Amtrak California Cars? I could have the bell sound and have the "Welcome Aboard Amtrak California train 727 the Capitol Train message play. Or I could have a message saying"The Southwest Chief giving the destinations and saying that the Sleeper Cars are ready to board and the coach cars are ready to board'. This sounds hard to do but it would be fun.

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

I doubt it's as simple as a MS Media Player playlist - well, it'd crash half the time for a start.

One system I saw, which was actually for the Glasgow area of Scotland, showed a map of stations in a kind of network diagram. The announcer clicked on the station(s) she wanted to play the announcement to, and then either selected a pre-recorded announcement, or made one manually. I believe the live announcement was actually recorded and played when she "ok"-ed it.

Geoff M.

Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When in the Palatka, FL station it is so crude that there are no announcements, no turning on of the platform lights at night (completely dark when the train comes in and in a bad neighborhood yet!), no Amtrak attendant or staff around, etc. How's that for America in 2005!!?? When I saw my wife off on the train when she was traveling from Palatka to Alexandria, VA--no lights, no announcements, nothing!

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page