RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Deluxe Bedroom $

Author Topic: Deluxe Bedroom $
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to take the California Zephyr this Spring(March 21-29) From Chicago to Emeryville with my Brother, Dad, and Mom. How much would two deluxe bedrooms cost if I got the rooms three or four weeks in advance.
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impossible to say. It depends on various factors, including the specific day(s)you're traveling, and how many sleeper compartments are still available on the day you actually book the trip.

To estimate the cost, go onto Amtrak's web site, plug in a few test dates around the time you plan to go, and see what price comes up. Between now and then, the amount could go up or (more rarely) down.

Spring and summer are peak travel times. Sleepers tend to sell out, and remember that there are only a few deluxe rooms on each train. If you need two rooms, don't procrastinate about reserving them, or you might be out of luck.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 4 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the reservations planner at http://www.amtrak.com :

Two deluxe bedrooms, RT, on the dates you specify, D Chi 21 Mar, D Emeryville 29 March), will cost on the order of $2800.

Total fare will be on the order of $4100.

Hope this helped.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not worth it by any stretch of the imagination even for the most fanatic train enthusiast. Top dollar "first class" price for really low class accomodations, environment, and often miserable service.
Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rsher1
Member # 984

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rsher1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Traveler. "First Class" on Amtrak is an overpriced joke. Nothing like first class air travel - where they know what "service" means in first class
Posts: 11 | From: Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must assume that when praising airline F service you are referring to international travel. Domestic F is not much better than coach. Drinks upon boarding is a benefit as are fewer seats. But the seats are only an inch or two wider than coach although the armrests are 6 to 8 inches wide. Seat pitch is maybe 1 inch more. But the seats don't recline any more than in coach.

International, fortunately, is a different story...

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats expen$ive!

WOW!

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dilly explained the best method.

Expensive, yes indeed. wow.

I would book asap, as I have recently discovered how hard it is to get a sleeper sometimes...

I'm traveling to San Antonio from East Lansing on the 27th and returning on the 31st. (New Years's Eve on a train...that should be interesting.)

I couldn't book sooner, (drove me crazy)because MSU wasn't given the bowl bid until last Sunday. I tried to grab a sleeper, but was only able to get one for the return trip. The Texas Eagle sleeper was full on both the 26th and 27th departures from Chicago. This was after I found that the Air-rail packages were sold out too.

I planned to just check the web site often, to see if something opened up. I'd try to upgrade on board if I had to do so...though I wasn't counting on it. Last night a little bed appeared on the screen, I called and was able to book it.

They put us in room 23...obviously the transition sleeper. Anyone been here before?
I wonder if they opened up space in this car because the regular sleeper had already sold out?

On the return trip we are in room 10, so I know they're running a full sleeper in addition to the transition car even on days that they don't connect with the Sunset Limited.

oh yeah, $900.90 total round trip 2 adults, standard sleeper. Considering it was booked less than 20 days prior to departure...I got a good deal.

Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as a point of interest, I am booked next week in a deluxe bedroom for one on #11 Seattle to Los Angeles. In April when I made the bookings, the Deluxe was $375 yet by September the fare on Amtrak's website was showing $890. I also have a deluxe on #2 from L.A. to Winter Park Florida. Again, in April, I paid $502 but by September the fare was being quoted as $979. These fares are sleeper only, the rail portions are extra. The total of all my sleeping car fares, had I waited until September to reserve them, would have cost me nearly $1300 more. Praise be to the gods of yield management.

[This message has been edited by royaltrain (edited 12-11-2003).]

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vincen47:

They put us in room 23...obviously the transition sleeper. Anyone been here before?
I wonder if they opened up space in this car because the regular sleeper had already sold out?

Yup, that's what I read on another board, the transition sleeper is being book again. Guess the so called "experiment" of this past summer was a success. Room 24 will be at the end of the car closest to the diner.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you'll win the lottery.Good luck.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovesatq
Member # 2691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lovesatq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Book ASAP...I booked my round trip from CA to Boston for 2 in a deluxe room 8 months in advance for only $1608. The way I figured it was even if something came up and I had to pay a cancel fee it was worth it. If you're travelling by yourself, the standard is fine but with two the deluxe is the way to go. I enjoyed the extra room and private toilet but that's me. I know I couldn't of done coach. I can't wait to get back on the train for another trip.
Posts: 9 | From: Benicia, CA, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>If you're travelling by yourself, the standard is fine but with two the deluxe is the way to go.<<

AMEN!

Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off-season can even be funky, too. Seventeen days ago, I rode the Silver Star from Miami to NYC. When booking my standard Viewliner BR, I got it for $100 less by leaving Wednesday morning 10 Dec. instead of Tuesday morning 9 Dec. Go figure.
Actually the northbound was full, too, as a lot of Boston "snowbirds" were returning home for the holidaze.

------------------
_________Thë Çhîeƒ
_|_|_|_|_

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Notive this post is over a year old, people.

Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Takes me back to when I knew nothing
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak's pricing depends on the phase of the moon,the juxtoposition between Jupiter and Mars,and the price of wheat in India.Good luck!

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page