RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Stupid question

Author Topic: Stupid question
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have often heard it said that Amtrak loses $16.38 per passenger. That doesn't sound like much, but it adds up over 22.5 million passengers each year. Why can't Amtrak raise its fares by that much (on average, a bit more for longer trips, less for shorter trips) to make up the difference? Wouldn't that solve Amtrak's self-sufficiency problems? An extra $16 isn't going to discourage anyone from taking the train. Or am I missing something here?

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes perfect sense to me !
I'd add a couple extra dollars to allow additional customer service training for Amtrak staff so that they may strive to become #1 in all modes of travel !

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps raising fares slowly over the next 13 or so months would be better than dumping the whole fare on the ticket at once. This would most-likely raise Amtrak to self-sufficiency standards.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that most passengers take Amtrak for short trips. Therefore, simply adding $16.38 to fares which by themselves may be only $20 - $30 to begin with would result in people taking their cars instead. (Forcing the taxpayers to use that $16.38 - and then some - for new roads/airports.)
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was really referring to an average price increase of $16, more for long distance trips, less for shorter trips.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page