RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » TICKETS

Author Topic: TICKETS
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i probably should ask amtrak this but i wanted to order 9 tickets off the web site. but it only allows up to 5. so i had to make 2 separate orders. anybody know why this is or was i missing something obvious. thanks

The Copper country Limited [Milwaukee Road] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW] still my favorites.

[This message has been edited by irish1 (edited 12-20-2002).]

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the "olden days" reservations systems (both air and rail) were limited to the purchas of 4 or 7 seats at a time because they used either 2 or 3 bits for the quantity field. Today, that limitation is removed but no airline will generally allow an agent to sell more than 9 at a time. I have seen limits of 4, 7 and 9 today on the res systems.

The airlines themselves can sell whatever they want. Most airlines maintain control over sales of 10 or more seats because they consider it to be a "group" and subject to different rules and procedures.

As to the 5, that is probably a holdover as well as train seat sales are little different than air seat sales. And there may be some administrative reason for the limitation as well. Why 5 instead of 4 or 7? Dunno.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page