RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » USA by Rail city correction

Author Topic: USA by Rail city correction
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently purchased, on the recommendation of this site, USA by Rail and All Aboard. I have enjoyed both books. In viewing USA by Rail, I noticed an inaccurate description of my hometown, Lynchburg, VA. On page 213 (4th Ed. 2001)it states "Jack Daniel built a distillery in Lynchburg in 1866 but the sourmash whiskey produced here today can not be drunk in this dry county". That is Lynchburg, Tennessee not Virginia as those who enjoy good bourbon would know.

The following are two good rail notes to update the description. One is the refurbishment of the Kemper Street Station, http://www.lynchburgva.gov/GLTC/kemper_street.htm. The second is the station being the hub of the planned TransDominion Express, http://www.tdxinfo.org.

This old unique station has gone from a decayed, rotting eyesore to an appealing modern facility that has added bus service, a community meeting room and more. The City has created a park with multiple recreational amenities. The station still features a brick street leading to the terminal. The rumble-rumble sound of the tire on the brick is a wonderful reminder of an historic station in a modern day setting.

I am also contacting the publisher to notify them for correction in later print editions.

Russell McBride
NewTimes

[This message has been edited by Newtimes (edited 12-22-2002).]

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hometown, Lynchburg, Va. is approximatley 50 miles from Roanoke, Va. Roanoke is without any Amtrak or bus connecting service. Lynchburg's Kemper Street Station has recently undergone a fantastic transformation (http://www.lynchburgva.gov/GLTC/kemper_street.htm). With the renovation, Greyhound joined Amtrak in the kemper Street Station. An good evening bus connection leaves Roanoke arriving Lynchburg approximately 1 hour before the Northbound Crescent. There is no favorable early morning (5:50am) bus connection from Roanoke to Kemper Street Station.

My thought is to expand the existing evening service with morning connections. Roanoke has a strong rail interest with the Norfolf & Western influence and has embraced the Virginia proposed TransDominon Express (http://www.tdxinfo.org). It seems logical the bus service would do the same.

This seems to be an easy way to add bus/rail service with little cost to Southwest Virginia.

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is Lynchburg, Tennessee not Virginia as those who enjoy good bourbon would know.

Well Newtimes, right you are. Just one correction from a Tennessee Squire, who has enjoyed sipping the nectar of the gods known as Tennessee whisky. Jack Daniels is not bourbon, but a Tennessee sour mash whisky. Bourbon is only produced in Kentucky, specifically, I believe, in Bourbon County.
You will see the word bourbon no where on a bottle of Jack Daniels.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Reggie, mea culpa. Thanks for your clarification. I guess my comment shows my preference for white spirits (vodka & tequila) versus brown beverages. I did get the city and state right. If you read USA by Rail and noticed the incorrect description I am sure your Volunteerism was bubbling from within.

Russell

reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get along much better with the brown water as I refer to it. Jack Daniels several years ago came out with a limited edition "Gentleman Jack" and I was very fond of that also. It was sometimes hard to find though. They also are now marketing a new brand called "Jack Daniels Single Barrel"
I would have to rank it as one of the best whiskies I have had the pleasure of drinking.
At 94 proof, it also packs a wallop.

Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page