RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Re: Baggage check in Chicago

Author Topic: Re: Baggage check in Chicago
pool
Member # 2165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking a cross country trip and I'll have a few hours layer in Chicago. Are there facilities to check my bags somewhere in Union Station so I can walk around the city for a bit?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All there is officially, are the lockers in the waiting area. There are some very large ones, but it still isn't the greatest. I believe once, I got the baggage guys to hold onto my bags once for me though. Good luck!
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're arriving or departing Chicago in a sleeper, you'll have access to the Metropolitan Lounge, which has its own baggage storage area at no extra charge.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, now that is true. I forgot...thanks for the save, Chris.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pool:
I'm taking a cross country trip and I'll have a few hours layer in Chicago. Are there facilities to check my bags somewhere in Union Station so I can walk around the city for a bit?

There are lockers located in the south Amtrak waiting area but these have been unavailable due to security concerns. Lockers are also located across from the baggage claim area which have been in use. This info based on personal observation several weeks ago but things change.

As others have mentioned, first class passengers can have their luggage stored in a secure area free of charge.

Since Chicago is a transfer point for many Amtrak passengers, I'm relatively sure luggage storage is available in one form or another....oh, you might also ask a red cap if he'll store it for you and have it available when you are ready to board your connection.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a word of caution. When I was in the Metropolitan Lounge in May, the storage area was not secure. It was basically a large closet and no checks were made to see who put things in there and who left with what.
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luggage storage for first class passengers is now located outside of the Metro Lounge in a room adjacent to the atk south waiting area...right next to the drinking fountains if you remember where that is.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page