RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Presenting schedule idea to Amtrak

Author Topic: Presenting schedule idea to Amtrak
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would appreciate suggestions on how to best present a bus/rail thruway addition to Amtrak. I sent an email to the Amtrak Contact Us site and received a auto reply. The Amtrak web address provides no specific department contacts.

------------------

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you were supposed to send a check to cover the cost?
Seriously, I think there was some sort of agreement with Congress about a moratorium on route expansion so they could get the money to stay solvent last summer. I think state governments can push for local service expansion if they are willing to put up some money. NARP (Natl. Assoc. of Railroad Passengers - www.narprail.org) also lobbies for specific expansion.
I am curious though. What did you have in mind?

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hometown, Lynchburg, Va. is approximatley 50 miles from Roanoke, Va. Roanoke is without any Amtrak or bus connecting service. Lynchburg's Kemper Street Station has recently undergone a fantastic transformation (http://www.lynchburgva.gov/GLTC/kemper_street.htm). With the renovation, Greyhound joined Amtrak in the kemper Street Station. An good evening bus connection leaves Roanoke arriving Lynchburg approximately 1 hour before the Northbound Crescent. There is no favorable early morning (5:50am) bus connection from Roanoke to Kemper Street Station.
My thought is to expand the existing evening service with morning connections. Roanoke has a strong rail interest with the Norfolf & Western influence and has embraced the Virginia proposed TransDominon Express (http://www.tdxinfo.org). It seems logical the bus service would do the same.

This seems to be an easy way to add bus/rail service with little cost to Southwest Virginia.

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried contacting the carrier that provides bus service out of Charlottesville? Maybe they have some ideas.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Good idea. When I return from Florida I will contact them. My wife and I (her first train trip) and driving to Charleston, SC tomorrow (Sun) and then taking the Silver Meteor to Ft. Lauderdale on Monday with a return on Jan. 3.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page