RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Re: Coffee in sleepers

Author Topic: Re: Coffee in sleepers
pool
Member # 2165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there coffee available at the end of the sleeper cars? I know there is soda and is it available early in the morning say 4 AM. Thanks
Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it is available in the middle of the car, at the top of the steps. Every time I've boarded, the attendant pointed it out and also said what time s/he made it available in the morning. Cannot remember if it was as early as 4 AM but if not, I would think a little encouragement would make it so.
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it depends on what type of sleeping car. The Viewliners have it at one end, the double-deck Superliners have it at the top of the stairs in the middle. I've always seen hot coffee available, even on a 4am arrival into San Antonio, but that doesn't mean to say it was fresh! All depends on the car attendant I guess. As Kairho said, a bit of encouragement (ie $$ tips) might do the trick.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some car attendants are better than others about providing refreshments. When I took the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago a few months ago, our "invisible attendant" didn't make coffee or put out beverages for the entire trip. No tip for him!

If there's no coffee in your car when you need it, try getting some from the sleeping car next door. The diner and the lounge car concession are another option -- although at 4 a.m., you might be out of luck everywhere.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 01-07-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apologies for forgetting the Viewliner in my response.

But Dilly brings up a good point ... I remember one train where two attendants shared the early morning duties. We were directed to the other car one morning and occupants of that one were directed to ours the next.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

ohhhhh, ahhhh, 4am is a tough one! When I worked the sleepers this past summer, I usually didn't get to bed until after midnight. In the superliners, one of the last things I did was to clean the pot and fill it with fresh water and coffee so it was ready to be plugged in at 5:30am for early risers which seemed to work for everyone. IIRC, the written policy was to have it available at 6am which is about the same time as the diner/lounge open for service.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the westbound Zephyr last year and there was coffee seemingly 24 hours a day - at least, I helped myself to a coffee at before 5am. One point I would make, though, the attendant was very apologetic but they was only allowed to put out one pack of 24 sodas and 2 cartons of orange juice per sleeper per day, and once they were gone that was that....Amtrak cutbacks?
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm....I don't know about any rule like that. What would happen for me is that they would only give me a rationed amount of drinks, so I rationed them out myself so that I wouldn't run out.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ask the attendant if he/she prepares the coffee before retiring. If they say yes, then I ask if it's OK if I plug it in when I get up at 4:30 am. I have always been told "yes".

There was that one time that I didn't ask. That attendant didn't add the coffee until he woke up in the morning. All I did was heat the water. :-(

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I am the same way. I would always set up the coffee before I crashed for the night as well. And it would have never bothered me if someone wanted to start it up.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page