RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Knife-wielding man subdued on Sunset Ltd.

Author Topic: Knife-wielding man subdued on Sunset Ltd.
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak passengers subdue armed man
near Big Sandy, Texas

BIG SANDY (AP) - Passengers aboard an Amtrak train apparently took matters into their own hands Sunday when a man wielding a plastic knife threatened to kill them while screaming profanities against America.

"It could have been a lot worse. The passengers did a fantastic job of restraining him," said Big Sandy Police Chief Ronnie Norman.
Here's the link to full story:
http://www.jacksonvilleprogress.com/articles/2003/01/07/news/news03.txt

"Don't Mess With Texas!"

------------------
+-+
+-+
+-+
+-+
+-+

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Hobo
Member # 1884

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Son of Hobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we were on in November - we had 2 different arrests - one a man exposing himself and a boy and girl (each 15) running away - great fun
Posts: 12 | From: Port Saint Lucie, Florida USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A plastic knife??? I'd have given the man a plastic bib and told him to avoid the chicken.. apparently he wasn't serious about his threats, eh?

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ironic thing on plane journeys is that they give you a plastic knife and fork (or metal fork sometimes) and a real GLASS! Now, a metal butter knife or a shard of glass.....

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think this knife was the kind you get at a fast food place. The article said "Norman said the knife, described as a black all-plastic polymer folding knife, is typically used to defeat metal detectors."

Sounds like something intended to cause harm, not to cut cheap fried chicken.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH, in that case; BAR-BRAWL!!!
Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH, in that case; BAR-BRAWL!!!

------------------
Cory (o:}=
I HATE DIAL-UP!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Cthetrains (edited 01-12-2003).]

graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just returned from my latest Amtrak adventure with a good portion of it using the Sunset Ltd. We arrived in LA an hour early! On the return I rode from LA to Chicago on the Eagle. A drug smuggler was caught in Tucson and the next night two men boarded with their own supply of liquor and from what I heard exposed themselves in the lounge car and tried to attack a woman. They were arrested and taken off the train. Besides these delays we had heavy freight traffic and bad track putting us almost twelve hours late into San Antonio! Amtrak put us up overnight in San Antonio and we reboarded the Eagle the next morning. A nice plus was that I was upgraded to a deluxe bedroom to Chicago.

I left San Diego last Wednesday and arrived at my destination Harrisburg, Pa on Monday afternoon. My luggage arrived two days before I did.I m always amazed that the sleepers on the Texas Eagle going to Chicago from LA are half the price of the sleepers on the SW Chief and it takes a day longer! As a train lover there is no contest. It would have cost over $300 from LA...two and a half hours up the line in Palm Springs the price droppedto $166!

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page