RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Guest Rewards

Author Topic: Amtrak Guest Rewards
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Guest Rewards web site:

*Amtrak limits the number of Points that a Member can redeem for Program Partners or Merchants frequent traveler points and/or miles in a calendar year (including but not limited to United MileagePlus, Continental OnePass, Midwest Express Frequent Flyer and Hilton HHonors). The yearly limit for Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Members is 50,000 Points. The yearly limit for standard Amtrak Guest Rewards Members is 25,000 Points.

Does this mean that the sum of points redeemed in a year cannot exceed 25,000 (50,000 for select)? If so, that rather limits the usefulness of this program.

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about the Amtrak one, but airline rewards aren't as simple as they first sound. For example, Continental won't tell you if you've got an upgrade until 3 days before the flight. You *might* be told up to a month beforehand if you're lucky. You turn up on the day and you might *not* get an upgrade. What they've done with your points in the meantime is anybody's guess (do you get them back?). I'm not specifically picking on Continental here, they are just one example.

However, from what you quote, it sounds more like a limit on what you can *redeem* in a year (ie use), rather than how many you *collect*.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand that paragraph, that's only a limit on redeeming Guest Rewards points for airline travel, hotel stays, and so on; there's theoretically no limit on redeeming points for Amtrak travel.
Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called their customer service line and found out that trainman1 is correct. I can spend as many points as I want for Amtrak travel - the limit is for the partner stuff. Therefore, I will soon have enough points to do a deluxe sleeper round trip through three zones!

It just wasn't clear to me from their web site.

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mho357, I also have been saving points for a trip thru 3 zones. however, with Amtrak once again dealing with funding questions, I'm starting to think that it might be a good idea to use the points soon, before the threat of a spring shutdown should Amtrak fail to get proper funding. It might be like the old saying, "use them or lose them".
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This makes complete sense. I would worry about them if it were not the case. The whole point of the program is to get people to ride Amtrak. If they are not accomplishing that (i.e. they are using they're points on airlines and hotels) then the program is pointless THEN. Good call, Amtrak.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that doesn't make sense to me is that you can't use your points for upgrades. I think that most of the airline programs allow you to use your points to upgrade to first class. It seems to me that this option might generate more revenue.

Mark

tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this would be the case, if people bought more tickets, thinking about using the points for upgrades. However, I think Amtrak thinks it will create more revenue to not accept them for upgrades, because then people will always have to spend real cash $ for those upgrades...hence more revenue.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more question:

Is a trip booked FTW-NYC considered a one-zone plus a two-zone (FTW-CHI and CHI-NYC)or is it simply a single two-zone trip?

Mark

tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
That would just be a two-zone trip. All that matters is how many zones you will be in from the beginning of your trip to the end.

[This message has been edited by tubaallen (edited 01-13-2003).]

mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I had hoped that was the case but sometimes things are not always what they appear to be.

Mark

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page