RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Orlando,FL station

Author Topic: Orlando,FL station
sloegin
Member # 1992

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sloegin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can any of you well-traveled experts tell me if there is long term parking at the Orlando station? Perhaps a parking garage nearby? Or is there a website with that info?
Schedules are such that trying to get someone to pick us up would be difficult. Trip isn't finalized yet and this information might make the difference.
Thanks for any input.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is parking at the station, but I'm not sure how long you can park there. If you have access to a timetable that info would be listed there. You could also call 1-800-USA-RAIL and they agent can check that for you. I have on several occasions rented from Hertz and a shuttle brought me to the Rental office(at the airport) to pick up my car. When returning to the station, there was a drop box to return the keys so you could just drive to the station drop the keys and be on your way. Just an option you might consider.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Great Western
Member # 1894

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Great Western     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Winter Park station just up the line from Orlando has its own small unattended parking lot with 10 -20 spaces. The station is right in the upscale downtown section of Winter Park near shops and restaurants. I have left my vehicle there for a week with no problem. There is also an adjacent city owned open air free parking lot with more than 100 spaces(no meters). The station has told me that I could park there for a week if the station lot is full. Three blocks south east there is a multi story paid parking lot with attendant. I don't know the hours of operation or the policy for long term parking there.
Posts: 2 | From: Indialantic, FL, USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sloegin
Member # 1992

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for sloegin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you both. Exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Actually, I finally found the stations and facilities on Amtrak's site (well-hidden, on the individual routes pages). I saw that Winter Park had free long term parking but knowing what the surrounding area is like is so helpful. Looks like a good possibility. Thanks again.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As someone else said, yes there is free long-term parking at Winter Park, either at the AMTRAK station or in the adjacent City parking lot, and the station is in a nicer area than the Orlando station. I would not park my car at the Orlando station overnight, but I had no problem parking at Winter Park for my 12-day trip last summer. All trains which stop in Orlando also stop at Winter Park.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Winter Park is definitely the better choice for more reasons than just parking. It's in an upscale shopping area and while waiting for the train you can browse the stores nearby. It also is adjacent to a public park if you just want ot go for a stroll. Lots of mature trees to shade you from the hot Florida sun!

By the way, I've seen conflicting information on Winter Park's status. On Amtrak's website, it says it's unstaffed, but offers checked baggage service. Every time I've been there it's been staffed, but with the new austerity measures, I was concerned that having two staffed stations six miles apart would seem to be redundant by powers that be. On the other hand, how do you offer checked baggage at an unstaffed station? Anyone know the answer?

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Winter Park is a staffed station -- I believe their hours are 9 AM to 10 PM or something, but they are open every day. And yes, they do check baggage on all trains.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striperjack
Member # 1636

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for striperjack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reggierail Thank you for that info about Orlando, I am leaving from Boston on the 2nd of Feb, we are getting a Hertz rental and were not sure about the pickup and return policies. Your info really puts us at ease, we have had trouble with returns at Albq. and were a little worried. Thanks Jack M
Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page