RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Carry-on Baggage Rules

Author Topic: Carry-on Baggage Rules
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am planning another long-distance train ride at the end of February and was wondering about the new carry-on rules for baggage.

In the past, I have taken an over-the shoulder attache, two small suitcases and a small duffle bag.

Will this create a "problem" on my next journey ?

I have seen a lot of people using back-packs. Perhaps I will consider one of those as a substitute.

Anyhow, if anyone has recent long-distance experience , please let me know if anyone has been "fussy" about what is carried-on.

By the way, as usual , I will be doing first-class the entire trip. It certainly is not cheap, but it is the ONLY way I will attempt a long-distance trip.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's my guess that the rules are adhered to more so in coach, so that there's enough space for everyone's carry-ons. If you've been in a sleeper before, then you know how much space you have, and can plan accordingly, and they probably won't give you any flak. I usually carry a roll-aboard (suitable as an airline carry-on) plus a small duffle-type bag, and have done so in Superliner deluxe, Viewliner standard, and roomette on the Canadian, and a couple times a small tote in addition. Tip: if you're alone in a Viewliner standard, sleep in the upper (it's fairly roomy if you're not too large, and you have a window), and use the seats to stash your luggage. There's also overhead space.
Chris

[This message has been edited by ChrisJ (edited 01-16-2003).]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest, I feel that there is less room on the sleepers than the coaches. The rooms are usually small enough that people don't want to keep their bags in there. In a superliner, it isn't usually a problem, because you have nice luggage racks downstairs. However, I found it to be a HUGE problem on my viewliner that I worked on the Lake Shore Limited. I had to stow many bags, and there is NO luggage rack. Fortunately for me, I was the first car on the train, so next up was the baggage car. I got permission from the conductors to use a little space in the baggage car for these people's bags. Otherwise, I might have been telling people they had to either sleep with it or leave it behind! Besides...in coach, you always have plenty of overhead space.

[This message has been edited by tubaallen (edited 01-17-2003).]

Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience, Amtrak doesn't seem to care what you take into your bedroom. If you are taking a deluxe, there is substantial room under the sofa for at least two suitcases, as well as space behind the chair. If you have a garment bag, there are several hooks in the room to hang one. There is also a very tiny closet next to the door for coats or a suit or two. In the superliners there is substantial storage space for luggage in the lower level, but I never feel comfortable placing them there as they are accessible to anyone and not guarded.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're correct that Amtrak doesn't care about how much you put in your room...as long as it is all in your room. What I've experienced as an attendant is that there are usually several passengers that don't want their bags in their room with them...and that's kinda hard to deal with sometimes...especially on a viewliner.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I took with me was one carry on duffel with the nessecities of life, a soft cooler with munchies and then shoved the big ol suitcase downstairs cause Tallahassee doesnt do checked.(checked it on the east bound from LAX) I had no problem with that. That was in coach.

quote:
Originally posted by TALKrr:
Am planning another long-distance train ride at the end of February and was wondering about the new carry-on rules for baggage.

In the past, I have taken an over-the shoulder attache, two small suitcases and a small duffle bag.

Will this create a "problem" on my next journey ?

I have seen a lot of people using back-packs. Perhaps I will consider one of those as a substitute.

Anyhow, if anyone has recent long-distance experience , please let me know if anyone has been "fussy" about what is carried-on.

By the way, as usual , I will be doing first-class the entire trip. It certainly is not cheap, but it is the ONLY way I will attempt a long-distance trip.

[This message has been edited by coach34135 (edited 01-17-2003).]

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tuballen is correct sir!
So nice to hear someone in the same predicament as me in June 2001 on the Late, er, Lake Shore Ltd.
We were in the head Sleeper and actually used the Baggage Car to store our big bags. It was like out of the movies visiting the baggage car to get a change of clothes!

Superliner Sleepers are much better Talkrr, with storage racks on the entry level.

Incidentally, I nicknamed our "unattendant" on that LSL trip "Jimmy Hoffa."

- - The Chief

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As someone stated, yes there are downstairs luggage racks in all Superliner sleepers; however, on one trip I took on the Sunset Ltd many years ago, I had placed my suitcase in a downstairs luggage rack, and when I got to Los Angeles in the morning (back in the good ol' days when the Sunset actually arrived in LAX on time in the morning!), the suitcase was not there, as an elderly couple who had detrained overnight had accidentally taken my suitcase thinking it was theirs, and the sleeper attendant at the time apparently did not do his job and check nametags, etc., to make sure they had the right suitcases, but he had told me in the AM that he thought this elderly couple "had an awful lot of suitcases for just 2 people." It took me approximately 5 days to get my lost suitcase, which showed up further downline on my trip, at Chicago.

So -- buyer beware, if you use the downstairs Superliner luggage racks. I ALWAYS take all my suitcases in my sleeper with me now!! Just plan for the available space you will have.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I'll take a Viewliner over a Superliner in a New York second.
First you have an area above the vestibule that can store several bags in each room. Since the rooms have more headroom, if traveling alone the upper berth can also hold a lot of luggage. The deluxe bedrooms also have a lot of storage space above the shower/toilet.

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
I agree...I personally like the viewliner a lot. And I would just find room for my bags in my room. However, I was speaking as an attendant. I had many people not wanting their bags in their room, and that made life a little difficult for me. Whereas on a Superliner...it's no problem, I just throw em up on the rack.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page