RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Lockers in Chicago?

Author Topic: Lockers in Chicago?
Genesis803
Member # 122

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Genesis803     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if the lockers in Chicago Union Station are still available? We are planning a trip there and need somewhere to put out luggage. I thought they may not have them in use for security reasons.Thanks!
Posts: 34 | From: Biloxi, MS USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are traveling First class then there is a Metropolitan Lounge where u can store your stuff.
But if your not then I think there still some lockers.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was there last May, the situation was that lockers were available for single-day use only, no overnight storage allowed. The lockers I saw were near the Amtrak baggage claim area, and I believe there's also another locker area elsewhere in the station.

However, as UncleBuck44 notes, if you're traveling first class (whether you're arriving, departing, or connecting to another train), you can show your ticket at the Metropolitan Lounge check-in desk and get luggage storage for free, either right in the lounge, or they'll direct you to a separate attended storage room nearby. As far as I know, they also will not store luggage overnight.

The main telephone number for Chicago Union Station is 312-322-6777 if you want to ask them directly about luggage storage.

[This message has been edited by trainman1 (edited 01-18-2003).]

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of last week, yes, there are lockers available at two locations, the first across the aisle from baggage claim and the other in the south Amtrak waiting area. At both locations, attendants are there, presumably a security measure.

Storage for first class passengers is available free of charge as mentioned by other posters.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in Chicago last month, the lockers were in service, however, be warned that they must be the world's most expensive lockers. I don't recall the exact charges, but you have to put in about $.50 when you store your luggage, and then you will be issued a receipt with a code attached. When you go to retrieve your goods, you must punch in this code into something that looks like a telephone keypad. This device will tell you that you owe more money if you wish the locker door to open. The last time I used it, I had to pay about $7.00 to rescue my bags being held hostage by the locker company.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least locker space is available again... When I connected in NYC in Oct 2001 they were still paranoid because of 9/11... no more day check of parcels, no lockers, etc. Word I had was that lockers and day check were done away with systemwide due to security risk. (Of course, the rules may have been different at Penn Station vs. Chicago Union Station.)
Curiously, in the Metropolitan Lounge, they had no problem with us leaving our bags there briefly to get lunch while waiting for a connecting train...

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page