RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » AMTRAK menu

Author Topic: AMTRAK menu
cassrr
Member # 1834

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be traveling on the City of New Orleans and the Crescent in a few weeks. If you believe their web sites, the dining car menus are substantially different compared to the "national" menus I've experienced this past year. Are they truly different or just the same filet mignon/fish/chicken?
Posts: 21 | From: Huntington, WV USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to be honest, I have never worked, nor rode 58/59, but I am pretty sure that the national menu is just that, and therefore the CONL should have the same menu. Not 100% on that though.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the menue is the same for all entrees except for the fish, which changes for each region
Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do any trains have a "Chef's Special" or allow one to be made? I thought I remembered reading this on this board recently.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah true, the fish does change depending on what is in stock the day the train leaves (and what the chef can get his hands on). As for the chef's special, I think sometimes this is available but don't plan on it.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having enjoyed the Filet Mignon with mash potatoes and green beans on the California Zephyr two nights in a row (okay, so the Filet was good, the beans "okay"), I also had it on the City of New Orleans a couple of days later. It was definitely different. Not in bulk ingredients but subtly. It may have just had a bit of seasoning added to it, but it was definitely more spicy - and good!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I traveled on the City of New Orleans last October and was quite pleased with the food. This leg was part of a coast to coast, border to border, 2 week journey. I rode the Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Crescent, CONO, Empire Builder and Coast Starlight. I did notice some differences in the preparation of the food on different routes. As stated earlier in this thread, the fish was the only change of pace offered. I was also getting very tired of green beans and baby carrots by the end of the trip.
I did enjoy the food preparation on the City of New Orleans more than any other train, the Coast Starlight being a close second.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
That is one thing that is nice, is that the chefs still try to do a little something special. They are very limited from the new national menu, but they still try!
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least there is a diner on those trains. I was on the Palmetto over the weekend (twice...) and was stuck with White Castle burgers!

How can they even think of running one of three trains from Miami to NYC without a dining car?

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
I know...sucks. I don't know if they just don't want to pay for the diner service, or if they are short on the dining fleet, or what the reason is.
cassrr
Member # 1834

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information. I knew a Po-Boy on the City of New Orleans was too good to be true!
Posts: 21 | From: Huntington, WV USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't give up on the po-boy, I know they have a specialty sandwich for lunch. As I said earlier in the thread, I was very pleased with the food on the northbound
City of New Orleans.

Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Occasionally, too, when the train runs out of food, we'll buy something from a local store which we sell as a specialty sandwich in the lounge. This has happened in GJT before on the CZ.
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eric:
Do any trains have a "Chef's Special" or allow one to be made? I thought I remembered reading this on this board recently.

I was the one who mentioned that in another thread. A chef's special of jambalaya was served on the SW Chief out of Chicago 1/10. An exec from Amtrak was on board and had asked the service crew what improvements they would like to see and one of them was to bring back specials in the diner. I have no idea if the change will be implemented or not, but it's certainly a good idea. As a temp employee and frequent recreational traveler, I get very tired of the same menu night after night and train after train. After my summer work stint, I didn't care if I ever saw a green bean or carrot again in this life time.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL....I'm with ya on that one!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page