RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Adding a person to a room

Author Topic: Adding a person to a room
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm used to giving advice. Now I need some. I tried to talk to an Amtrak agent on the phone, but the hold time was excessive today. So I pose my question here.

We're thinking we might the Starlight from Salinas to Seattle in May. Along the way we might pick up my sister in Salem. If we get a Deluxe bedroom could we add a third person to our room from Salem to Seattle, or would my sister have to ride in coach by herself? Has anyone else done this?

For the return, we would like to take the Cascades Talgos to Salem, where we would spend a couple more days, so it won't be an issue on the way back.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the answer for sure for this. Amtrak intends the Deluxe room to be a three person room...so as long as you're willing to find space for her (either in the lower birth, or floor or whatever) Amtrak will have no problem with it, and she will also get free meals in the diner. (Even if theoretically you weren't supposed to have three people, most crews would look the other way.)
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeadlessBrakeman
Member # 2232

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeadlessBrakeman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**Mr. Toy...knowing your history in this Amtrak Forum, and others, please do not take the advice of this "tubaallen". While this person may be an expert on other topics; on the topic of Amtrak the 'information' provided is less than stellar.

Here is what you do (and trust me when I tell you, and I am being kind here, 50% of Amtrak Reservation Agents couldn't figure this out either) A third person may be added to a deluxe room in the manner you describe by purchasing a ticket for them booked in "OPEN SPACE" from Salem to Seattle. Their cost is the lowest 'YD' bucket space between those two cities. Their reservation is then cross referenced to yours and it will indicate that this party is boarding downline from where you boarded and is "SHARING" your accomodations.
Remember, the reservation must be booked in "OPEN SPACE". If this isn't booked correctly, as is usually the case, the person who needs to share the accomodation finds themselves with a coach seat and no free meals.
And yes, Amtrak WILL HAVE A PROBLEM with it, if you try to do things that aren't right. And what happens if you follow the advice of this 'tubaallen' and get the crew that isn't going to look the other way?
My two cents: Book it correctly, pay the right and proper fare and don't "expect" train crews to let something slide if it isn't a standard business proceedure. Then you'll have no worries.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to correct you...but I AM a train attendant. I have seen it and done it before myself. My information is valid. As for how to book it, your info may be correct....but I do know that my info is completely valid as for what will happen on the train.

And I do not appreciate the harsh tone at which you have spoken of me in third person. Check your sources.

[This message has been edited by tubaallen (edited 01-20-2003).]

Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can speak from experience, but from a trip where all 3 were on board from start to finish. I booked a standard for 2 and one coach for an overnight on the SWC for myself and my 2 children (KC-ABQ). My kids both fit into the lower.

The attendant and the conductor had no problem with all 3 of us occupying the standard bedroom and stowing all our luggage in the sleeper. We never entered or occupied the coach. We simply paid for one meal in the diner. Since we spend our days in the observation lounge anyway, it was comfortable and economical.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On board crews will react in different ways to different situations. As far as reservations, the 3rd person will or should be booked in open space and the reservation cross referenced to the reservation which includes the sleeper. As long as the occupancy of the sleeper is not exceeded the extra person will be entitled to free meals also.
I have booked the circumstance on several occasions and have had few problems. The biggest one being that the itinerary on a printout will not show the correct order of travel as the computer doesn't recognize the order of travel when an open section is booked.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Thanks for your support guys.
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why should Amtrak care about the extra person in the room? It's to their advantage. They make more money on the room when more people occupy the room... each occupant must pay rail fare, and they aren't taking up any more revenue space! (They get the rail fare without having to provide a seat in the coach.) For example, a Viewliner sleeper has space for 32 (if you assume two in the standards and accessible, and three in the deluxes) - if I choose to have three people in a standard, they are getting three rail fares without taking up any additional revenue space. Wouldn't the additional rail fare being paid be enough to justify the free meals, even if the "official" capacity of the room is exceeded?
However, thank you to "Headless Brakeman" for indicating the official way to add someone to a bedroom. Sounds like it's also the cheapest, since you always get the lowest rail fare when you are in a sleeper.
One final note... I've noticed that as far as official capacity is concerned, two children = one adult. So a standard bedroom's capacity is 2 adults or 1 adult and two children. Likewise, a deluxe bedroom is 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children. Maybe it's because the capacity is based on adult fares, and since children travel for half fare, two halfs make a whole?

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Jim, you make a good point. I had never looked at it that way. Of course it must be to their benefit...that fare would at LEAST cover their meals. Plus then they get to put another fare paying passenger in that first one's seat!
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke to a car attendant on the Crescent a couple of years ago. She said that she'd had 4 people in the handicap bedroom once. Although frowned upon, it was late at night, they were young, wanted somewhere to sleep and agreed that 3 would get meals included in the price, the fourth would have to pay.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately it looks like we won't have time this Spring to go all the way to Seattle. We've settled on a brief trip to my mother's place in Salem for a couple days. I'm a little disappointed, because that leg to Seattle wouldn't have cost much more, and it would have given us a chance to ride the Talgo back to Salem. Maybe next time.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page