RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » amtrak and via trip

Author Topic: amtrak and via trip
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiking2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just joined. Am taking a trip of a lifetime in May. Will be taking amtrak and via on a ten day trip from the midwest to west coast then on to canada.Across Canada to Toronto and then back To home. This trip covers over 7,100 miles.
Posts: 27 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume you will be taking VIA's Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto -- that is a great trip!!!! I hope you will be going 1st class (sleeper) -- VIA offers a wonderful 1st class package, which includes meals, afternoon hors d'oeuvres, and maybe an occasional glass of champagne in the PM. On the Canadian, you can spend the whole time sitting in the dome car and watching the beautiful Canadian scenery go past. I rode the Canadian in 1999 (Toronto to Vancouver)and enjoiyed it very much (see my 1999 travelogue in another section of Train Web). Have a great trip!!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiking2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes i am going first class all the way on this trip.
Posts: 27 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!
It sounds like a great trip. Are you taking the Zephyr from the midwest to the west coast? Great views in the Rocky & Sierra Mountains! The Coast Starlight is another great trip. Enjoy.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious to know how you are going back to the midwest from Toronto? I live in Toronto and have many times taken a circle tour of the U.S. and Canada with a North America Rail Pass. My problem is getting to Chicago. In days gone by the International was an overnight sleeping car train run by CN. Currently a rail-passenger is forced to take the 12 hour (or more) day-time version of the International with no sleeping/parlour cars or dining car. But there is an alternative: Via's General Brock to Niagara Falls Ont., connect by taxi or limo to Buffalo's Depew Station for the W/b Lakeshore Ltd. (a train that has a sleeper and a diner). As this train arrives at 7:00 am, it also avoids the necessity of staying overnight in Chicago for your w/b connections.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
I live in ohio so will take the mapleleaf to syracuse and then go by lake shore to cleveland. The reason for this is because i will only have to wait 2 hours instead there instead of ten hours in buffalo.
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool move, I did the same thing when coming from Chicago to Toronto. I continued to Syracuse on the Lake Shore and then caught the Maple Leaf to Toronto. There's a great sandwich shop a few blocks from the train station that serves some real seriously goood
food. Sure beats the fast food stuff in the station.

Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course the Lakeshore now leaves Buffalo at 9:00 pm instead of its previous 1:00 am departure. The connection is a little tight from the General Brock, but the wait in Buffalo would be about 45 minutes.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page