RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight & Pacific Surfliner Questions

Author Topic: Coast Starlight & Pacific Surfliner Questions
Kostroma
Member # 2243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kostroma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This fall, My mother and I plan to take a roundtrip from Seattle to Los Angeles on the Coast Starlight. While in LA, we plan to take the Pacific Surfliner to San Diego for a day trip. I've been researching for a while, but I still have a few questions.

Coast Starlight:

The train from Seattle to LA and vice versa are both scheduled to leave their respective origins around 10 in the morning. Will breakfast be served that late or will we need to buy something from the snack car?

We will be booking a sleeper. Are all meals and snacks included or only the dining car meals?

Neither my mother nor I are morning people and will probably want breakfast served in our room on the second day. How far in advance will we need to let the car attendant know?

Are there any restaurants in Los Angeles' Union Station that are open when the Starlight arrives?

Are taxis lined up outside of the LA Union Station like they are at King Street Station in Seattle when the train arrives?

Pacific Surfliner:

Does Business Class work like it does on the Cascades route where seats are assigned, or does going Business Class just guarantee a seat wherever?

Since we'll be going on a day trip and won't have any luggage, how far in advance of the Surfliner's departure should we arrive at Union Station?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 24 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try to answer your questions about the Coast Starlight.
Breakfast is not served the morning of departure, however, first class passengers are sometimes offered a continental breakfast in the parlor car.
All meals are included in the dining car. You may have a meal from the lounge car instead of the dining car, however, the drop in quality makes this a poor choice. Snacks are not provided in the accommodation charge but sometimes first class passengers do receive cookies or fruit from their car attendant. You may purchase snacks in the lounge car.
Room service is dependent on your car attendant and his or her workload.
LAUS has a nice restaurant but it is unlikely to be open when you arrive.
Taxis are available outside LAUS.
Have a good trip.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all true, however, they do much prefer you dining in the dining car...it is easier paperwork, since that is the way the system is designed to work.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleeping car passengers usually have the option of having a continental breakfast in the Pacific Parlour Car. There are always snacks available in the Parlour Car to first class passengers, which do not need to be paid for, although the attendants certainly appreciate tips.

You can get meals in your room, although most people just choose to eat in the dining car. The car attendant often comes around to find out who will be having breakfast, and that is the time to ask. Also, another continental breakfast is offered the following morning in the Parlour Car, and late risers can help themselves to that.

There is a restaurant in LA Union called Traxx, but it's upscale and pricey, and probably wouldn't be open as Kostroma said. There will be dinner onboard before the arrival in LA.

As for the Surfliner, Business Class seats are technically reserved, but they are not assigned, at least from my experience. Going unreserved coach is probably a better deal, and actually it's little different. (Those little TV's in the backs of the seats seem to be the one major perk of Business Class, but they never work.)

Getting to the station fifteen to twenty minutes ahead of departure time is usually plenty of time, provided you know your way around. To be safe, I'd say 30 minutes.

Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember last spring when I was coming back from San Antonio, they were serving breakfast at 9:30. Odd.
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you'll be passing through L.A. Union Station several times during your trip, be sure to spend time exploring the station itself -- inside and out.

It opened for business in 1939 and is still one of the most beautiful Big City railroad depots in the world. The main waiting room, the old ticket hall, the outside gardens, and the beautiful (and now empty) Harvey House restaurant look like movie sets from Hollywood's golden age. Don't miss them.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leaving Seattle last Oct. on the Starlight there was a nice selection of rolls, muffins and danishs in the Pacific Parlour Car. There were also dry cereal, milk, coffee and juice available.
The same holds true for the departure from Los Angeles.
The second morning in the Parlour Car is similiar, with possibly a little more selection.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One nice thing about LAUPT (Union Station) is that it is just across the Alameda from Olvera Street, which is a historic district honoring the founding of "Neustra Ciudad de la Reina de Los Angeles".

There are plenty of pretty darn good Mexican food holes in the wall there, and the price is reasonable, even considering the tourist-trap environment.

In addition to Traxx, there is a coffee bar a la Starbucks in the main waiting room as well. It is also a tad upscale in its prices.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I pass through L.A. on my train trips, I always enjoy going to Felipe's Restaurant, which is located about 4 blocks down Alameda Street from LAUPT (turn right after you go out of the station and cross the street -- I don't remember the name of the cross street Felipe's is at, but it is right on a corner)-- it's kind of like an old time diner, and they have a variety of foods there, but it is not sit-down dining. You order from the counter, then you sit at any of several large long wooden tables, with other people. Prices are much more reasonable than the restaurants inside LAUPT.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a minor correction: the name of that restaurant is spelled Phillippe's. They're most famous for their French dip sandwiches.
Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the clarification, trainman. I would feel much more comfortable eating French food from a diner, than Mexican food, before a two-day train trip!
Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the correction, Trainman! When I posted that, something didn't look right about the spelling!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they claim to have invented french dip sandwiches, so you'd have to call it California Cuisine rather than French. Was in there last week for the first time, a very interesting place.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you ever noticed the "train room" display at the back of the restaurant? They have a nice combination of O scale trains and photographs depicting railroad history in the Los Angeles area. The display is maintained by an organization called the Los Angeles Museum of Railroading, and it changes two or three times a year.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kostroma
Member # 2243

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Kostroma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Thanks for all the replies! Sorry that I took so long to get back.

I guess I'll handle the breakfast thing as it comes up. If the attendant doesn't mind, then we'll eat in our compartment the second morning, but if they're extra busy or seem put out, we'll drag ourselves out of bed early.

I'm asking about restaurants or snack bars in Union Station simply because I'm thinking of the worst case scenario. When I plan a trip, I always allow a plan B, though I rarely have to use it. Here's why:

We're not looking for a place to have a sit down meal when we get off the train, but I know that between dinner and bedtime, we will want a light snack. Our hotel stops food service at 11 and if the Starlight is substantially behind, as it sometimes is, then we'll need to have an alternative planned. I guess we'll just buy something from the lounge car just in case.

I'm not fixated on food or anything. It just seems that way.

I forgot to ask how much I should tip for various services.

Posts: 24 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As always, tip according to the quality of the services received. In sleeper for a one night trip, $10 would be adequate; in the diner, tip 15-20% of the price listed in the menu for all that you have ordered.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mytetravel
Member # 2260

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for mytetravel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Pacific Surfliner, as someone recently stated, it's reserved but seats are not assigned.
In business class, there seems to be more width b/t seats in front of you. Also, in business class, you get complimentary coffee, tea, juices and little pastries plus a free copy of USA Today.
And business class is slightly more than coach.
If you go to San Diego, make sure you ask the conductor or ticket person which is the ocean side. You'll see ocean once you leave San Juan Capistrano.
I usually take the train (business class)often to San Diego or far north as San Luis Obispo. It's a relaxing ride.

Posts: 3 | From: LA CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mytetravel:
If you go to San Diego, make sure you ask the conductor or ticket person which is the ocean side. You'll see ocean once you leave San Juan Capistrano.

Deciding which side is the ocean side can be a bit difficult when boarding the train at LA since one assumes the train moves one direction when it actually heads out the wrong way and makes a big U turn. First determine which is the front of the train and sit on the right side.

cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Normal operation out of LAX (99% of the time) is Cab car leading no matter if going north to SBA/SLO or south to SAN. If going to SAN then sit on right side (looking at Cab car). If going north then it's left side. If in doubt ask the conductors. Otherwisw stand w/ your back to the freeway (end of track) & figure out which is right/left side of train.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume the Surfliners get crowded during rush hour (assuming "rush hour" exists). But on several occasions, I've boarded the 11:10 AM weekday train in Los Angeles (bound for San Diego) and found it almost completely empty.

During my most recent southbound trip, only one other passenger sat in my car. My return trips to LA (usually in late afternoon) have been only slightly more populated.

So it's possible you'll have a choice of many empty seats. If something outside the opposite window catches your eye, don't be shy. Simply move across the aisle.

I usually hop back and forth several times during the course of a single journey. But then, I've also been known to move to a completely different car, simply because it's there.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 01-30-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mytetravel
Member # 2260

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for mytetravel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right rmiller...duh me!!

I do know this: business class car is the last train when leaving LA (going southbound) and it's the first car leaving San Diego (going northbound) :-)

Posts: 3 | From: LA CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page