RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What Engine is this?

Author Topic: What Engine is this?
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.trainweb.com/cgi-bin/photos/showpic1.cgi?/fotosort/trains/locomotive/misc/93808_11.jpg

Take a look.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a dash-8.

Several years ago, they were common on the Eagle. I think I even had that engine on one of my trips (98 or 99).

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, it's a Dash-8. These units were nicknamed 'Pepsi Cans' and had pretty impressive paint jobs. They repainted them into the Phase IV (updated pinstripe) scheme a few years ago, but I liked the Pepsi better. These units were ordered by Amtrak around 1991, and are essentially freight units equipped for use with head-end power (HEP) for passenger cars. The paint scheme was supposedly designed to hide the boxy-looking design of the freight unit carbody. These units were kind of the transition between the F40s and P40/P42s, and they are now mostly used on short-distance trains, and a few of them hold switching jobs in various places. They are often used as backup power, also.
I remember units 510 and 513 pulling the Chief on a trip I took to CHI in '96. I have a picture of myself standing in front of the 510 in ABQ during that trip. I think I was about eleven years old at the time. A few years later, I received the HO model of 510 for Christmas, and it's fun to have a story to go with the model. Here is a good photo site with more images of the original "Pepsi Can" paint: http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/amtrak/amtP32-8.html

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the full model designation given to that locomotive by GE is DASH 8-32BWH. Amtrak designated them as P32BW's. They were built as a transition model by GE while they were developing the P40 (aka Genesis or AMD-103) locomotives. They are similar in appearance to Santa Fe's DASH 8-40BW freight locomotives, although they have a noticeably smaller fuel tank. A lot of them have been reassigned to switching duties. I've seen them at LA Union. I've heard that Santa Fe's 4-axle wide cab GE's ride very roughly at high speeds. These units could well have a similar problem, which may be why they've been reassigned.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically ditto all that:

My experience is that they were mainly meant for the Texas Eagle, and just bailed out equipment on other trains. And yes, I know there are several times I have been switched around in the Chicago yard with one.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a decent pic of a P32-8 in Phase IV colors:
http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/amtrak/amtP32PHS4/amt504f.JPG

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh ooooh oooh!....What are the details on this pic? First of all, I wonder if that is in Bloomington/Normal, IL? I'll have to go look at the train station from that angle, and see if it looks like it could be.

And whether or not it is BNL, what train is that? Looks weird to see ONE engine pulling a superliner consist. A superliner consist is usually only a long distance train, right? And if so, then they never put fewer than two units on them. Doesn't make any sense. So does anyone know?

I think once or twice ever, I have seen them use a couple of superliner coaches along with a panic box coach for a CHI-STL or CHI-KCY train, is that what this is, maybe?

Do you know, irishcheiftain?

[This message has been edited by tubaallen (edited 01-25-2003).]

Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It probably is a CHI to KCY or KCY to STL train.
Usually they put 3 superliner cars and one engine on the Mule or Rutledge.
I went one a train like that from Kirkwood to Downtown St. Louis about 5 years ago, and it had 2 coach and 1 sightseer lounge. That was fun.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good eye, tubaallen. The photo was taken in Normal, IL.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The International, (Chi-Toronto) in the past couple years used a Dash 8. In fact, the photo might be of this train, though I'm not sure. Currently, a P42 pulls the three to four coach superliner consist. Prior to the Dash 8's introduction to the route, Via supplied an F40, as part of a joint Amtrak/Via agreement. I'm not sure what changed in the policy, but I have not seen any Canadian power on 364/365 in the past few years. You may want to check out Michiganrailroads.com -It has several pics and info about the International.
Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, ok. It's BNL, I wasn't sure, thanks Eric.
Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 12 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dash 8's are used quite frequently in Northern California-Oakland Yard uses them extensively on the San Joaquins (Oakland to Bakersfield) and on the Capital (San Jose to Sacramento). I think they have two or three of them. I know at least two of them are painted in the Navy blue and orange Amtrak California color scheme-I saw one in the Amtrak West blue and silver color scheme (506 and 507 if I remember correctly). Engineers like the roomier cab and traditional sitting position, but suspension problems have been maily to blame for the rough ride. Also, because they were originally built for freight service, they don't accelerate as quickly as the F59's or P42's or even the F40 fossile.

Hey, I did catch one (#507) SB out of Sacramento on the Coast Starlight on December 21st. The #11(as a sidenote) was running 11 hours late.

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by UncleBuck44:
It probably is a CHI to KCY or KCY to STL train.
Usually they put 3 superliner cars and one engine on the Mule or Rutledge.
I went one a train like that from Kirkwood to Downtown St. Louis about 5 years ago, and it had 2 coach and 1 sightseer lounge. That was fun.

I have to disagree with you. I am the official on this line...I don't know about STL-KCY, but the Rutledge, or any of the lines that come through BNL (other than the Eagle) almost NEVER use superliners...only once in a GREAT while. Usually it is a combination of Amfleet and Horizon.

Does anyone know when this picture was taken?

rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd guess last winter since the paint scheme is relatively new. Didn't Amtrak use superliners on some of their midwest corridor trains a couple of winters because the amfleets/horizons were having mechanical difficulties in severe weather? I rode the Illinois Zephyr with superliner equipment around then, just can't remember when.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
I do think that OCCASIONALLY they have used superliner equipment on the midwest corridor routes, however, I think it is very seldom. I saw one come through BNL here last semester, but only once. I suppose that could have been what was going on there though.
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of last November, ABQ had one for switching duities. It added another mail roadrailer on train #3 when I was there. I think, if I can remember correctly, that it was #515. It was in the phase IV scheme. I remember when I first saw one of these way back in the mid 90's. The "Pepsi Can" was a very impresive paint scheme.
Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen 517 and 518 working ABQ before (at different times). It's really too bad they got put into switching service, but I guess there's enough Genesii to handle the road these days.
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by tubaallen:
I do think that OCCASIONALLY they have used superliner equipment on the midwest corridor routes, however, I think it is very seldom. I saw one come through BNL here last semester, but only once. I suppose that could have been what was going on there though.

Ironically enough, the evening after I posted this, I saw a two car superliner corridor train come through. It would have been #304. Maybe it happens more often than I thought. I wasn't close enough to catch the consist, but I imagine it was two coaches with one of them having a panic box. There were a couple of mail or express cars too...just couldn't see exactly what.

coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a pepsi can dash 8? (b32-8w)
Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Amtrak uses Superliner cars on the midwest corridor when the amfleet cars are having troubles.
They use them quite often in the winter January and Early Feburary.
This past January I went on one and the ticket agent said that Amtrak has been running quite a few superliner coaches due to problems with the single level coaches.

coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the cool Dash 8s looks like LA too..been there done that
this the paint job i like on em

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page