RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Rail/baseball trip April 7 & 8

Author Topic: Rail/baseball trip April 7 & 8
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am departing WAS early morning April 7 to Pittsburgh(WAS-PHL-PGH) to see the Pirates vs. Brewers, then depart April 8 to Philiadelphia (PGH-PHL) for 7pm game to see the Phillies vs. the Braves. Depart April 9th back to Virginia (LYH). I am researching motels in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Have found the Ramada Plaza Suites 1/4 mi. from the Amtrak station in Pittsburgh at $99. Recommendations on Philadelphia and other options in Pittsburgh are appreciated.

Russell in Virginia

[This message has been edited by Newtimes (edited 01-28-2003).]

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, from one Baseball fan to another.
Although, I cannot recommend a place to stay, I was wondering if you have allowed for late trains, delays and travel to the Parks ?
What I can tell you is PNC Park may very well be the best of all the new Parks. On the other hand, Veterans Stadium is at the other end of the scale.
Have a Great trip!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CK, seems like many baseball fans are also rail fans.

My trip: April 7, 2003
DP: WAS 5:35am AR: PHL 7:27am Train #180
DP: PHL 8:45am AR: PGH 4:00pm Train #43

April 8, 2003
DP: PGH 7:30am AR: PHL 3:10pm Train 42
DP: PHL 3:10pm AR: LYH 10:40pm Train 19

Hotels needed PGH 4/7 and PHL 4/8. Fortunately several trains leave from WAS to PHL in AM which is my only tight schedule. I am also trying to squeeze in a Yankee game on the 9th if time allows. It's my 50th birthday gift to myself. The wife and I will be in Playa del Carmen, Mexico from 4/1 to 4/6 then fun rail/baseball time for me.
Russell

------------------

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds Great!
My wife & I have visited 27 current & former MLB Parks, & we hope to see a few more this year.
Happy 50th!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say "Hi" to Jim Thome for me in Philly...we're still not over that here in Cleveland.

2 years ago I rode the train to NYC for Indians vs. Yankees (lost 15-3). Last year to Anaheim for Indians vs. Angels (lost 7-4).

This year is Seattle...I'm not holding much hope.

Have a great time...

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
KJKober, Jim Thome to the Phillies, Tom Glavine to the Mets, what's the world coming too. I also considered the Indians schedule but they were off on 4/8 as are most teams. Maybe we can create an East Coast rail/baseball trip for interested members in the near future.

I was listening to Peter Gammons a few months ago on ESPN radio and he stated Thome was his favorite, most complete player. As the preeminent baseball observor, Gammons makes a strong baseball statement for Thome. Good luck to the Tribe this year.

I hear your stadium is great. Cleveland is definately on my chooice for rail/baseball trips.

[This message has been edited by Newtimes (edited 01-28-2003).]

trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal in Pittsburgh, considering it's a downtown hotel. When you're trying to get from there to PNC Park, keep in mind that city buses are free within downtown Pittsburgh. I don't think PNC is considered "within downtown Pittsburgh" because it's across the river, but you should be able to get pretty close to the 6th Street/Roberto Clemente Bridge that you can walk across.

Unfortunately, I'm not as familiar with Philly as I am with Pittsburgh...but at least you'll be able to say you were able to say "good riddance" to Veterans Stadium during its final baseball season.

Last May, I took the train from L.A. to the San Francisco Bay Area, and then on to Chicago, and saw all four baseball teams that one can see in those locations. If you've got some free time, you can read my travelogue, which is very long, but at least there are some pictures to look at.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
How many times does one turn 50, so I decided to add Yankees vs. Twins on April 9 in Yankee Stadium? My first visit there and very excited to experience "the house Ruth built". I have made reservations at the Pennsylvanian Hotel.

So that is Pirates/Brewers 4/7, Phillies/Braves 4/8 and Yankees/Twins 4/9 taking the Crescent home on 4/10 (NYC-LYH). All destinations on Amtrak. My wife and I and another couple return from Mexico 4pm on April 6 and I depart early morning from DC to PGH.

Since this is a solo trip, I'll have lots of time to create a trip/game report for rail/baseball fans. I hope baseball fans will enjoy.

Russell in Va

[This message has been edited by Newtimes (edited 02-08-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Newtimes (edited 02-09-2003).]

UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'am a huge fan of Baseball and trains and I am one who would love to be going on this trip.
Have u thought about the Baltimore Orioles.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Russell:

I have stayed at the Ramada Suites Hotel in Pittsburgh a number of times and have always been very pleased.

Now, there is free hotel shuttle service between the hotel and the Amtrak Station , so that is very nice.

The hotel is only about a 5 minute ride from the station.

Also, there is a free breakfast included with each overnite stay that you might be able to take advantage of if your connecting train does not leave too early.

JOHN

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
UncleBuck44, baseball and trains definately go together. Must be the leisure pace that both enjoy. I did check with the Orioles. They are at Tampa Bay. I did go to Camden Yard last year and loved it.

TalkRR, thanks for affirming the Ramada Plaza Suites as a good place to stay. They told me it was a 15 minute walk to PNC Park over the Roberto Clemente bridge and that the Amtrak station was 3-4 blocks away.

I'm ready. 5 nites in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, 3 big league games, Amtrak trips the whole way. Hot damn, this is going to be a cool 50th. Come on April 1.

Russell in Va

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page