RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » One Last Tear....

Author Topic: One Last Tear....
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
F40 #323, known for it's sad face applied to the nose by Seattle crews, as it prepared to pull the last eastbound Pioneer from the west. Duct tape was used to apply the "eyes" and the "frown".

Now, #323 sits on a track in Beech Grove, IN, adjacent to the on-site scrap yard. Watching a number of F40s, per day, be shredded into pieces.

Knowing that her fellow co-workers, and thyself will be next... Shedding one last tear, to leave behind an essence that holds the great experience Amtrak F40s had from 1975 to 2001.

There is an end to everything on this planet, and her time has come to do one final bow...

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Chris,
Those are sad photos, but All Good Things...

Thank you for your efforts to get the 231 preserved. That must have been a monumental task, and I'm glad it worked out!

I've been waiting to hear the status of unit 372. This is (was?) my favorite F40. I heard she worked for a commuter line in CA for awhile, although I can't recall which one. If you could let me know if the 372 is still "in one piece", I would appreciate the info!
Thanks!
~Eric

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are so many F40s being scrapped? Can't they be sold or are they in such bad shape that they are worth more as scrap? Seems wasteful to me. I would think some of the growing commuter lines would be interested in having them.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris, you really know how to make grown men cry.

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-November 18, 2001
P42DC #53063
November 18, 2001-???

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, take two beers and DON'T call me in the morning
hahaha

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mustanggt
Member # 2363

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for mustanggt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow. what a sad picture. The F40ph was always my favorite locomotive. Now I realized almost all locomotives will come to an end like this. If they dont get wrecked first.
Posts: 2 | From: United states | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't this be considered murder?
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When all the F40s were rounded up in November 2001, there was approximately 110 total F40s owned by Amtrak.

Now, it's down to under 20. 65-70 F40s have been sold to scrap, Amtrak does not have the money to buy expensive components to repair/rebuild the F40s. They've got a surplus of P42s, so power shortage is not really a concern right now.

The ones headed to the scrapper are those that are completely dead. Approximately 30 of them were sold off to commuter operations (to answer one guy's question about the #372, it was leased to Coaster service, and now works for AMT Montreal service)

Another thing about the F40s, is that they saw severe neglect under the George Warrington administration (man, if I could get him in a room for some boxing action...) The F40s saw wear and tear beyond the average rate, as did the Superliners.

Though, all in honesty, it's not Amtrak's fault. It's not ENTIRELY Warrington's fault, I blame it all on Congress. Any Congressman that does not vow to support rail does not get my vote.

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page