TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Genesis Questions

Author Topic: Genesis Questions
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How often does a Genesis Engine have to be refueled?

I've been given different answers to this question. Once, I was told that the locomotive can make an entire long distance trip on one take of fuel. I have my doubts about this.

First example, the 14. I've taken it from LAX to SAC several times. Twice, I thought I saw what was a fuel truck on the wayward side of the train-can't be sure-it was very late and I was tired. Other times, I don't think it refueled in SAC.

Second example-Once I got off the 2 in Tucson and they refueled and another time they didn't.

Is refueling scheduled in the timetable?

One other quick question about Genesis Locomotives: When there's multiple locomotives coupled to eachother, does the way there facing matter. Typically I see them coupled in opposing directions.

Calling all locomotive experts!

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, the way the engines face matters not at all. I think they just tend to face the way they do to ease operations in the yard and such. This way there is always a cab facing either way.

As far as refueling, I am not an expert, but I believe they theoretically can make a whole trip most of the time. But you're right, they do refuel, and usually on a schedule. For instance the CZ refuels at SLC, and DEN, and sometimes OMA.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I rode the Sunset Ltd in 1999 (LAX to ORL), it stopped to refuel at Kirby, Texas (just east of San Antonio)
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SW Chief refuels at Argentine Yard (Kansas City) and Albuquerque.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john1082
Member # 2068

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for john1082     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This begs a question: Will they sometimes refuel at a given location, not because they need fuel, but because it is cheaper at a particular location and then bypass locations where fuel is more expensive?
Posts: 37 | From: Orange, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they would refuel at those points since it is already built into the schedule to spend a little more time at those stations. Those areas do seem to have the cheapest prices for fuel since they are major cities.
I wonder, do any of the single level routes have refueling points along the way? I would guess that Albany would be since it is a major switching point and the Boston Section of the Lake Shore Limited does have some rough terrain ahead.

Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure about the single level routes. My guess would be yes. Albany would make sense to me, especially because they do some switching around of engines here. The NY section of the LSL gets a different engine...one that has the third rail power ability.

The only thing I disagree with is that fuel is cheaper in the bigger cities. This could not be further from the truth...in general city fuel is much more expensive. Sometimes because of the restrictions of pollutants.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the BOS section of the Lake Shore Ltd in 1998, and yes, they did refuel at Albany.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In February 2002, on the #49 Lake Shore Limited, we had to refuel in Elkhart, Indiana. Anyone ever see this happen before. Also, Albany is generally where the refueling takes place for the Empire Corridor Trains (saw this back in 2000 on another trip there)so its safe to say that the Lake Shore most likely refuels there as well if necessary.
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page