RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Southwest Chief

Author Topic: Southwest Chief
Santa Fe 5704
Member # 2277

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Santa Fe 5704     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's happening now with the Southwest Chief's route and all the Crew Bases along the way. I hear that Amtrak is going to cut really deep along this particular route in March. What's going on?????
Posts: 53 | From: Kansas City, Missouri USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wouldn't be the first time. I think this'll be the first long-haul route to be cut out completely if it comes to that, but I hope to god it isn't.

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am praying that the Southwest Chief will not be discontinued because it's the only way I can get to Chicago or Los Angeles these days. Besides, I have 15,000 Guest Rewards Points I need to cash in on.

The President of Amtrak, David Gunn, says that he is determined to dismantle the entire passenger rail system before he will discontinue the long haul (over 500 miles) trains.

Since you appear to be a resident of New Mexico, you may want to e-mail your Congressional House representative right away and show your support for The Southwest Chief. This is very important because the future of passenger rail is being decided by the House even as we speak. I keep bombarding my representative (Rep. Heather Wilson) with e-mails but I don't believe she has made a decision on the matter yet. This is unfortunate because Senators Domenici and Bingaman support Amtrak, even though they are of opposing parties. Our new Governor, Bill Richardson is also a fan of passenger rail and I'm sure an e-mail from you would certainly help the situation.

The battle is not lost yet. Keep the faith and please write letters to your representatives as well as your newspapers.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will be a real shame if we lose the Southwest Chief.

But, as it is one of the biggest money losers, the SWC is certainly a potential target. I always wondered why it loses so much, as I know it's a popular train. Are the costs high or extreme along it's route for station agents, stations, or other reasons? I wonder if because four locos are used, the fuel costs are higher for this route.

But even with the money issue, I really don't think the SWC will be the first to go. It is the only true Chi-La route and this is a major connection. I'm really worried for the Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle. The Cardinal is already planned to be discontinued, so who's next?

If the Southwest Chief does go, maybe a private firm will start a service similar to the old Santa Fe Super Chief or even lesser Santa Fe trains. Well we can always dream

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good question: Why does the Southwest Chief lose money? And I think it really needs to be answered.

David Gunn recently said that Amtrak lost money on carrying freight and that service was to be discontinued. I ride past the Chief every night and see it carrying well over a dozen freight cars and I find it difficult to believe that it can lose money carrying that much stuff, in addition to all those passengers.

And passengers! Post 9/11 the train seems to be always filled to the gills with people. Before that tragedy I could always get a couple seats to myself. Now I never, ever can get a couple seats to myself.

Also, I believe that the Chief also recently won a lucrative $25 million contract to carry mail.

So.... where does all the money go? This does not make sense. Maybe those often-quoted loss figures are incorrect.

Here's an interesting paragraph I just cut from a NY Times story that addresses our discussion, but refers specifically to the Sunset Limited:

"This year the Amtrak Reform Council, an advisory panel created by Congress, said that the Sunset Limited lost $347 per passenger, although Amtrak did not agree. Amtrak argues that cutting the long-distance trains would save nothing in the short term, because its unionized workers have contracts that specify that they would still be paid. It has no track maintenance costs on its long-distance routes, because it does not own the tracks."

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 02-06-2003).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santa Fe 5704
Member # 2277

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santa Fe 5704     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak does indeed have those contracts with rail workers. They date back to May 1971 and for a long time included former Rail workers that were employed by the carriers that operated Amtrak until March 1987 when Amtrak hired their own employees. That provision ended thru attrition. I was one engineer that took a leave of absence from Santa Fe and worked for Amtrak for 6 months in 1987. I went back to Santa Fe for various reasons and haven't looked back since. My youngest son is now a Conductor on Amtrak and is looking at losing his job if the cuts are deep. Of course though as the article says: A contract between Amtrak and Employees will still cost Amtrak even though the trains are gone. This is a good contract as it provides for these employees until they relocate and secure other employment. Not many industries have this kind of provision.
Posts: 53 | From: Kansas City, Missouri USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken the Southwest Chief frequently over the past 20 years (and I drive down from Minnesota to catch it) so I have some opinions on what has hurt ridership, and what could help.
The express/freight cars really hurt for those of us who love fast long distance trains. I counted as many as 25 once. Train crews told me they had to move slower through curves because of train length. The switching time west of KC was sometimes over an hour. Engine failures were frequent, and twice I experienced long waits in Trinidad to borrow a BNSF engine for Raton Pass. Hopefully David Gunn (my hero) is solving this problem.
Despite a fine crew, when the number of car attendants was cut they could not provide the excellent service this train was known for.
With a marginal investment, this could be Amtrak's showcase transcontinental. It has the route for speed, timing for scenery second only to the CZ, and the rich tradition of fine Santa Fe passenger service that could be restored. And no UP slowdowns.
Cutting time off the schedule could allow more convenient connections to Phoenix from Flagstaff (one of Amtrak's great stations). And a checked baggage Barstow thruway/San Joaquin connection would get you to SanFran well before the CZ. More timely connections to Las Vegas, Denver and St. Louis would also be possible.
And, is it just me, or is riding a 90 mph train way more fun than a 60 mph train?

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mytetravel
Member # 2260

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for mytetravel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that article about Amtrak in USA Today. I don't recall seeing the Coast Starlight; isn't that a long distance train too? I imagine they'll cut service on that line....maybe go far as say, Sacramento? Is their train or thruway service in Sacramento?
Posts: 3 | From: LA CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chucky:
That's a good question: Why does the Southwest Chief lose money? And I think it really needs to be answered.

David Gunn recently said that Amtrak lost money on carrying freight and that service was to be discontinued. I ride past the Chief every night and see it carrying well over a dozen freight cars and I find it difficult to believe that it can lose money carrying that much stuff, in addition to all those passengers.

And passengers! Post 9/11 the train seems to be always filled to the gills with people. Before that tragedy I could always get a couple seats to myself. Now I never, ever can get a couple seats to myself.

It's long past time to get over the idea that long distance passenger trains have to MAKE money to survive. Gunn has stated ALL the ld trains lose money. The question is, should these trains be subsidized to provide an alternate means of transportation, I believe they should.

As for the number of mail/express cars on the SW Chief. Observing that there are many does not mean the service is profitable. If the overall service is unprofitible, adding volume will only increase loses, not achieve profibility.

As with all ld trains, patronage during peak season is high and crowded conditions exist. During the off season it is a different story. I rode the SW Chief in October and again in January and had my pick of seats, no seat assignment, sit where you want, and had no difficulty keeping a double seat for myself. The three coaches sometimes appeared to be fully occupied, however, a glance at seat checks quickly showed that most double seats were occupied by single riders. With these light loads, three cars should not be difficult for one car attendant to handle, despite grousing to the contrary by some.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it does seem to be hard to believe that it could be losing money from either freight or passenger service; but the key is scheduling...the Chief seems to have trouble keeping up with it's assigned schedule times. The only definite location I can use is La Plata, Mo. The Chief seems to be anywhere from MAYBE 10 minutes early, to 3 or 4 hours late, depending on what time of year it is, and whether it is the #3,(Eastbound?) or the #4,(westbound?).
I forgot which is which.

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NEE--North or East is Even. 3 is Westbound, 4 is Eastbound. And the lateness of the Chief is no different than many of the other trains. They all have problems in that respect, except for a few like maybe the Builder.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santa Fe 5704
Member # 2277

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santa Fe 5704     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Chief loses time for various reasons. Hot Box Detectors, Catching up to freight and then having to get around them somewhere down the line, Car train collisions, People needing Emergency Assistance along the route. The list goes on and on. Sometimes it's even the crews wanting overtime so they jack around when they could get the work done quicker without running fast. So, it's not always the dispatchers that delay the train. When the Southwest Chief falls on it's nose then BNSF don't hold freight trains for it. They'll do their best to get it back ahead of the parade but sometimes it's a long journey doing so.
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW Southwest Chief, the Cardinal is not scheduled to be cut. It's the Kentucky Cardinal that's on the chopping block.

Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right reggierail! It is the Kentucky Cardinal and not the Cardinal. Sorry about the confusion
Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page