RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Using Guest Rewards Points

Author Topic: Using Guest Rewards Points
msbarth
Member # 2302

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for msbarth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I reserve a room using Guest Reward points for myself, what do I need to buy for my wife to come along? Do I need to get her a coach ticket?

Thanks,
Michael

Posts: 2 | From: La Jolla | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should probably call Amtrak to find out for sure.

It is my understanding that rewards points only apply to the person whose name is on the membership. In that case you wouldn't buy a coach ticket, rather you would pay the "rail fare" (basically a coach fare) for the second person in the sleeper. I assume you could arrange all of that in the same transaction when you redeem your points.

I'm curious about this, too, as I'm almost two-thirds of the way towards a sleeper on my points.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 02-17-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used my Guest Rewards for a 3-zone sleeper trip combining two trains through Chicago. I received a set of tickets for my wife and I. I did not need to buy her a coach ticket, etc.

Good luck.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
I'm curious about this, too, as I'm almost two-thirds of the way towards a sleeper on my points.

Mr. Toy,

If you ever use a credit card, you might want to consider switching to the Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard. I got one about a year ago and now use it instead of checks (we keep a zero balance). You earn a point per dollar spent and can rack up the points quite quickly. When coupled with my travel rewards, I almost have enough points for a three zone deluxe sleeper round trip!

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got an e-mail not too long ago explaining the AGR folks are giving added incentives for those who sign up for the credit card now. My application is going in the mail tomorrow. All this from someone who perenially dislikes junk mail and credit card ads.
Sorry, I'm only around 1900 points or so, but I do have my eyes on my first ever sleeper trip. Either that or the three-zone coach fare...

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mho, I got the credit card about a year ago. It has increased my point accumulation tremendously. The best part is when making train reservations. You get one point per dollar for being a Guest Rewards member plus two points per dollar spent on train tickets when you use the card. So that's three times as many points than you would get if you are a rewards member without the credit card. And all other purchases on the card get one point per dollar. It adds up fast.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve D
Member # 2344

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Steve D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is for those of you who have used/redeemed Guest Rewards points for sleeper accomodations. Have you had the experience of a trip involving a connection between two trains and the connection was not made, and you were overnighted somewhere at Amtrak's expense? When you were placed on the following day's train, and your original sleeper accomodations are not available on that train (e.g., bumped from deluxe to standard or to coach), are your points refunded for that portion of the trip that was less than what you booked, or do you just lose your points?

Steve

Posts: 7 | From: Shreveport, LA, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just recieved my card in the mail. i will probably have some ?s. for some of you fine folks. hope to take a trip soon. i wonder how much amtrak makes off of these cards?

------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page