RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Commuter Trains » METRA

Author Topic: METRA
Rob Dehlinger
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Dehlinger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

For those of you come to Chicago, I recommend trips on METRA, our Commuter Rail System.

Nelson Rockefeller and the LIRR notwithstanding, you will be hard-pressed to find a better system anywhere in the US.

On weekends you can get an unlimited pass for only $5 and although some lines do not operate on weekends, you can cover some great amounts of mileage.

3 of the line go out to the suburban "boonies" and many of the lines are being upgraded and expanded.

All Aboard!

Rob

Posts: 33 | From: Arlington Hts,IL | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hehcooh
Member # 3694

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hehcooh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob,

In May, my family will be spending a few hours in Chicago before boarding the Zephyr to Colorado. We would like to go from Union Station to approximately 200W to 200E on Chicago blvd?.

Whats the best/easiest/economical method to go there and get back to the station?

Posts: 27 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Dehlinger
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Dehlinger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

Probably a CTA bus.

Go to www.metrarail.com and then click on transit links, which will take you to the CTA website.

Enjoy the trip!

Cheers!

Rob

Posts: 33 | From: Arlington Hts,IL | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rob,

I really enjoy spending a weekend in Chicago, but getting a good rate at a downtown hotel is getting next to impossible. Do you know of any suburban METRA stations within walking distance of a nice hotel? Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, that sort of thing.

Thanks,

Mark

Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark,
Try Priceline. We head into the city every month or so for dinner, theatre, night away from the kids, etc., and we've gotten great deals using Priceline. I only bid on 4*/5* now that they've dropped the Boutique hotels (my personal favorites) and we've never had a bad experience. Bid Loop/Grant Park or NMA for easy downtown access.

Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page