RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Commuter Trains » CalTrain and VTA Light Rail

Author Topic: CalTrain and VTA Light Rail
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just returned from a trip to the Sunnyvale, CA area, and used local transit instead of a rental car. It's not always easy but it can be done. For those unfamiliar with the area, CalTrain runs frequent trains, all day, both directions on the ex-SP peninsula line between San Jose & San Francisco.
The VTA Light Rail line is in three segments, and it connects with CalTrain at Mountain View and Tamien (south of San Jose Diridon station). The VTA is mostly on a "new" alignment, but part of it follows the ex-SP Moffett Air Base branch. $3 buys an all-day unlimited ride pass.
A new VTA segment east to Milpitas is under construction, and two stations just opened on Friday 5/18. I do not know how much further east the line will go, but I would think it would get closer to the east bay UP (ex-WP and ex-SP) lines.
The VTA/Tasman Ave. crosses on a bridge over the UP line with the ACE and Amtrak platform near Agnew. There is not a cross-platform connection but the VTA Lick Mill station is closest, about a 1/4-mile distance away.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page