RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Commuter Trains » Comet V and ALP-46 photos

Author Topic: Comet V and ALP-46 photos
TR-00
Member # 1494

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for TR-00     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Photos of the interiors and cabs of the new Comet V's and ALP-46's are now posted on the following website http://www.ble373.org
Posts: 12 | From: Hammonton, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comet Vs look sharp inside and out. Found it amusing since I didn't know the German name for the engineer's cab was "führerhaus"!! I guess we'll have to give you the right-hand salute as you go by now, Herr Führer...
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TR-00
Member # 1494

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for TR-00     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A "right-handed" salute would be better than the one I normally get, which usually consists of only one finger
Posts: 12 | From: Hammonton, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
transit383
Member # 1488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for transit383   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the site it says "The exterior of the cars will remain unpainted." I am assuming the car in the photo is #6000- is it painted yet? I know these cars will not have the black windowband common to the rest of the fleet. Will these cars have any type of NJT markings on them (i.e. NJ logo on cab door, reflective stripes on cab, disco stripes next to side doors, etc.)?
Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TR-00
Member # 1494

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for TR-00     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were originally plans to paint the cars that were designed by NJT's newly hired industrial designer. Exactly what this scheme would have been is not known, but it was estimated to have cost an additional $2,500.00 per car. NJT wisely rejected the idea. As of now, the cars will remain in their natural stainless steel. There are small, black, "NJ Transit" logos below window level at each end door. There will be no end striping, and hopefully, the NJT rainbows will be left off, as they tend to quickly fade and change colors.
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm pleased about no black paint going around the Comet V windows...but what of the MNCW ones for West-of-Hudson, do they get that baby-blue Shoreliner stripe...? Plus, whoever gave the go-ahead to re-stripe the Comet II rebuilds must feel like a dummy somewhat...

Going from more paint (Comet III to IV) to none at all...that'll sure look odd in a mixed train, unless they're keeping the Comet Vs as dedicated train sets (but with the coming shortage of cab cars, I'd think that unlikely)...it'll remind me somewhat of the early 80s with the older equipment having all sorts of colors on the sides...

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
transit383
Member # 1488

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for transit383   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that is the paint scheme, then someone should be fired. No reflective stripes on cab? What was the point of painting the Comet IIIs, IVs, and all those Comet I Cabs with warning stripes? I thought they were supposed to increase visibility of the train? No NJ logo or number on cab door? NJT even went so far as to paint an oversize NJ logo on 5009-5010 after the MTA trade. Sure, less paint means less spending, but no paint is a bit ridiculous.

Are these cars going to display numbers, or were they left out as well?

Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page