RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Commuter Trains » NJ Transit - Bergen-Shore Exp.-Summer 86&87

Author Topic: NJ Transit - Bergen-Shore Exp.-Summer 86&87
BigBlue11
Member # 1478

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for BigBlue11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's hear some stories and memories about trips to the beach and this short lived train service.

I rode 'em both seasons from Radburn and Rutherford stations (because the trains would "blow by" the 2 stations in my town).

Recall excellent service in 1986 with new 40 locomotives hauling Comet I coaches w/reversable and comfortable 2-2 seating. Most trains held to the schedule.

Both seasons would see a single locomotive hauling 10 full coaches. The big U34CH's were used during the last season. They got to sprint on the corridor !

Posts: 9 | From: Northern NJ, USA (current) | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevepel3372
Member # 1484

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Stevepel3372     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any memorable moments on the Bergan Shore Express. I do however remember riding the last run of the U-34's in August of 1994. They had the 4172 on the west end and the NJT Disco Stripe 4176 on the east end. It was a nice trip that toured almost every line on the Hoboken Division. I believe the 4172 was used by NJT in work train service until Jan. of 1995.
Posts: 2 | From: Denville, NJ 07834 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derek Fenton
Member # 1483

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Derek Fenton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How far apart are the beach and the train stations on the North Jersey Coastline?

D

Posts: 25 | From: Passaic County, NJ | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Derek Fenton:
How far apart are the beach and the train stations on the North Jersey Coastline?

D

About a 15-minute walk from most stations south of Long Branch. Best beaches are south of Belmar. Often a nice walk, as many of the towns have retained much of their Victorian architecture.

Bergen Shore Express -- is that the same run that started in Port Jervis around that time? Why did it end? I heard it was well patronized.

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gct29:
Bergen Shore Express—is that the same run that started in Port Jervis around that time? Why did it end? I heard it was well patronized.

AFAIK, it started in Suffern and not Port Jervis. Since I never got to use it, I can't verify how well it was patronized, but since it's no longer around, I'd say that's a testament to how well or poorly it did. Pity, too, since the current Waterfront Connection offers a safer (if marginally faster) way of getting from the Morris & Essex tracks to the Northeast Corridor tracks than the Center Street Branch did (the connection used thereof having been removed in the early 1990s).

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess they just had connections to P.J. at Suffern. Makes more sense. Glad you mentioned the Center Street Branch. I always wondered how they did that pre-Waterfront. Was there a back-up involved?
Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jrr7
Member # 1475

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for jrr7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a long thread on the late lamented railroad.net about this.

Yes, I think there was a reverse move involved, and a manual switch throw.

The first year was quite well patronized, likely because gasoline prices were high. NJT gathered up extra equipment and expanded service for the second year...and nobody showed.

Posts: 12 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page