RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Commuter Trains » Susie Q

Author Topic: Susie Q
gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It all sounded very promising a few years ago, then . . . nothing.

Anyone hear rumblings on when commuter service on the Susquehenna might start? I know it's still on NJT's "master plan," but their site still says that they're waiting for approval to build a yard in Hardyston, as they have been for years. Is that it? Aside from the final environmental red tape, what other hurdles does NJT face? What's the Susquehenna's attitude in all this?

Any information and/or wild guesses would be appreciated.

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Susie-Q service debacle is a load of "bollocks", personally. All the nonsense about trying to build a yard in what basically amounts to a dead-end terminus, really. The Susie-Q line (i.e. current) goes to Port Jervis, so why not terminate trains there?!? There's a nice big yard there, with extra space to boot. I'm sure that there's more than just one commuter that may think it a good thing to have train service operating via Warwick and Goshen in Orange County, NY State, again (is it Goshen, or that town between there and Greycourt? I can't remember right now, it's too late at night.)

As for the NYSW line east of Paterson...that ought to get heavy-rail passenger service also. There's just too much focus on that Secaucus Transfer monstrosity, which is one reason the original plan includes duplicated service via Paterson on NJ Transit's current Main Line. They cut out Saddle Brook, Lodi and Hackensack (I say Hackensack because of the lack of service on the PVL by comparison; additional service on the NYSW wouldn't hurt.) Don't get me wrong, there are indeed plans for passenger service on the eastern leg of the NYSW...but it'd be single-track LRT service, terminating at Lodi, not reaching Paterson (who'd want that?) and ooh, guess what, it wouldn't go to Secaucus Transfer either, what a terrible thing. How come there wasn't a Susquehanna Transfer station planned (not the ridiculous bus transfer of the past!) that would transfer people off the NYSW onto the former PRR lines going into NYP, right at the mouth of the tunnel??? How come the genii of the past couldn't do that...??? Never mind...

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page