RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Commuter Trains » Rather long walk to new HBLRT Hoboken platforms

Author Topic: Rather long walk to new HBLRT Hoboken platforms
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a look at the new platforms for the HBLRT within Hoboken Terminal today; four tracks, two island platforms. Their current location kinda puts them in the "boondocks" of the station; you have to walk well past track 18 and through an empty lot designated "NJ Transit Reserved Lot #5" to get to them. The platforms' current location, though, will put them quite a distance away from the ferry slips, plus make getting to/from the PATH station a hassle. IMO, it would have been more useful to eliminate "Reserved Lot #5" and put the tracks and platforms right next to Track 18; that puts it about 100 feet closer to the terminal, ferry slips and even the PATH entrances. Anyone else in the area, go take a look, and tell me what you think...
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drew_henderson
Member # 1480

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for drew_henderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're probably right (I haven't seen them yet). Too bad they're already built.

A better location would have been on the other side of the terminal - right in front of the main walk-up entrance.

I used to be able to find on the web a great picture of the Public Service trolley approach to the terminal. Anyone know where to get it??

Posts: 22 | From: Yardley, PA US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jrr7
Member # 1475

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for jrr7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NJT on its website lists a south side HBLR station as one of the proposed projects for the Hoboken Terminal.
Posts: 12 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez, that's out there.

Just speculation, but maybe the present "boondocked" terminal is a temporary measure until HBLRT crosses the mainline approach, at which point they'll build a terminal closer to the old PS one, using the present terminal for layover/maintenance.

One can only hope. As it is, the streetlight timing north of Exchange Pl. has the system nearly crippled. That Hoboken platform would be a further blow to its viability.

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page