RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Commuter Trains » ANY DC METRORAIL EMPLOYES ON HERE?

Author Topic: ANY DC METRORAIL EMPLOYES ON HERE?
ENGINEERBOB
Member # 1835

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ENGINEERBOB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking for any employees who work on the DC metrorail system. I am trying to operate my N-SCALE railroad like you all, I have red lightd instead of the blue lights. I hear on the scanner of railroad crossings, how can cars & truck go across the 3rd rail?

Thanks

------------------
KEEP TRAINING & GOD LOVES YOU & SO DO I!

Posts: 11 | From: SILVER SPRING, MD USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GG-1
Member # 1915

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for GG-1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not an employee of the Washington D.C. Metro but I do know that at grade crossings, there is a gap in the third rail and it continues on the other side of the crossing. This doesn't stop the train for two reasons. One, the train probably has enough foward momentum to make it across the gap without comming to complete stop, two the other cars in the train also have third rails shoes and pick up the electricity while the other cars are passing the crossing. If you've ever been in a train using a third rail you would know that the lights sometimes do go off when the car is not in direct contact with the third rail.
Posts: 11 | From: Pittsburgh,PA,USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there public grade crossings on the D.C. Metrorail? I can't think of any offhand, but it's been almost three years since I rode on it last, and I haven't been over the whole system in any event.

There are a fair number of grade crossings on the 'L' system in Chicago, and they work exactly as GG-1 described. Some of the crossings, in addition to the normal crossing gate, also have gates that normally block the track, but swing out 90 degrees when a train approaches in order to let it pass through.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GG-1
Member # 1915

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for GG-1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trainman1, I know the DC Metro system pretty well and I can't think of any public grade crossings off hand either. I do know however that there are many grade crossings in the Metro storage yards (this is very common in rapid transit systems throught the USA and Canada) and that they work on the same principle.
I've seen pictures of public grade crossings in Chicago but have never had a chance to see them myself. I think that it's pretty interesting to have them in such a busy place like Chicago.

Cheers

Posts: 11 | From: Pittsburgh,PA,USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If memory serves, some Long Island Rail Road crossings were like those described, where there was a gap in the 3rd rail where the road is crossed. I don't know if there are pivoting gates, though.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page