RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » General Forums » Train Simulators and Games » Favorite Railroad Game

Author Topic: Favorite Railroad Game
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,
I guess I'll start off this forum by asking everyone what their favorite game is.
I first bought a PC game called 3D Ultra Traintown (Lionel). It's goal-oriented, and has "fantasy" type graphics. It's fun to play and work your way up from "Grease Monkey" to the engineer position, with the challenges becoming greater as you climb the ladder.
I then got 3D Railroad Master, which has pretty good graphics, and realism. Sound is also well done. The game is fun to play, but you usually have to keep your speed around 25MPH, so you don't derail.
I've had Microsoft Train Simulator for about a month. Almost everything is realistic, and there is a lot of variety in trains and goals. The BNSF GP38-2 and Dash 9 are my favorite units to operate. I especially like the sound of the GP38-2 as it throttles up from Run 3 to Run 8.
I would rate them as:
#1: Train Simulator
#2: 3D Ultra Traintown
#3: 3D Railroad Master
Let's hear what you think!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not a "pure" railroad game, but I may have spent more hours playing Transport Tycoon (trains, planes, trucks, etc) than all other games combined. I still play the thing, and it remains my favorite, though it's hopelessly outdated.

I also have downloaded a couple of train games: a "New York subway interlocking simulator" I haven't figured out how to use yet, and a locomotive simulation which goes by the filename "Rsus121". The graphics are simple, but you get to be the engineer (I keep running past my station stops!).

I would love to try Train Simulator, but my current PC just can't handle it.

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NY subway interlocking simulator is (assuming you've got the same thing I tried) really just a simulator of how the interlocking works, not a game as such.

rsus121 is RailSim USA, a game by Jens Schubert (http://www.railsim.de). I would warn you that it is a commercial bit of software, unless you have the demo version. I still have a soft spot for it, as there is a large degree of randomness in it - you're not always following exactly the same trackwork (unlike MSTS).

Transport Tycoon is a game I still play as well! It would be nice for a newer version (but not in the same form as Sim City, which went from the old classic game to 3000 with no actual gameplay improvements, only graphics!).

Geoff Mayo.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geoffm:
The NY subway interlocking simulator is (assuming you've got the same thing I tried) really just a simulator of how the interlocking works, not a game as such.

rsus121 is RailSim USA, a game by Jens Schubert (http://www.railsim.de). I would warn you that it is a commercial bit of software, unless you have the demo version.

Transport Tycoon is a game I still play as well! It would be nice for a newer version

Geoff Mayo.

I only have a demo of RailSim (F7 diesel only). I'd really forgotten there was a full, commercial version. Apparently we have the same subway sim, but I probably won't keep either program.

I have found several other rail oriented games at http://www.thelocomotivecab.com (which links back to railsim.de, among others). I've yet to try everything there.

Also, I'd just love a new Transport Tycoon. There are some similar games out there (Traffic Giant, for one), but I haven't found one I like better than Tycoon.

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two games that I've really enjoyed with my friends are "Empire Builder" & "Express." There have been many times when games have lasted for several hours.
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page