RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Canada » Name Canada's best scenic route

Author Topic: Name Canada's best scenic route
traintraveler
Member # 3257

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for traintraveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am planning to visit Canada sometimes this fall. I would love to ride trains to see this beautiful country. Can anyone suggest me the best scenic route? Also name the railroad that operates the train on the suggested route.
Thanks.

TrainTraveler.

Posts: 23 | From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traintraveler: I hope you will get some input from people who have traveled in eastern Canada. I havn't, but I have traveled on a train in Alberta and BC.
The VIA from Vancouver east, over the Canadian Rockies, is spectacular. The VIA now takes the CN (northern) route from Vancouver to Jasper, Alb, and on to Winipeg and Toronto.
For a first visit, I suggest the Rocky Mountaineer. It splits so you can go either the southern leg to Banff and Calgary or the northern leg to Jasper, which I like because of the town of Jasper. Either way is fun. The Rocky Mountaineer is a private enerprise, it is 2 days..8 hrs each day, & you stay in Kamloops the 1st night. Good food and you get a chance for picture taking along the way.
I understand, by next year, there may be a new excursion train on the BC line from Vancouver up to Whister and maybe on up to Price George. That would be a great trip but still I like Vancouver to Jasper, either on the R Mountaineer or VIA, for the best scenery.
RH

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traintraveler
Member # 3257

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traintraveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Yukon11. Appreciated.
I forgot to mention one thing in my last post which I should have. When is the best time to travel on the VIA rail or Rocky Mountaineer for the suggested Vancouver to Jasper?

Have a nice day!
TrainTraveler.

Posts: 23 | From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The VIA runs all year. I believe the Rocky Mountaineer runs from late April until early October.
I am sure that spring or fall would be great. In terms of doing a lot of driving around and hiking, I think summer is best.
Note: the weather is very unpredictable in the Canadian Rockies. One trip, in early July, the weather was nice..never really hot but warm and comfortable. Another time, also in early July, the snow line was only about 100 feet above the town of Jasper. We were thinking of going swimming in a natural hot springs pool, near Jasper, on that same trip. It was so cold the lifeguard was wearing a parka.
But, I don't think that was the normal weather for early July.
By way, the Rocky Mountaineer how offers both a "red leaf" service and a "gold leaf" service. Last time we took the red leaf service and it was fine. You get meals at your coach seat and the view was nice. But, I am kind of anxious to take the "gold leaf" which includes dome car seating and meals in a dining car.
RH

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page