RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » International » The Ghan

Author Topic: The Ghan
up4884
Member # 4192

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for up4884     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The train was mentioned in another post here.
Can anyone comment on their travel experience on the Adelaide to Darwin Ghan.
We've been putting off a trip to Australia. Would be nice to plan it around rail.

Posts: 3 | From: Northern Michigan | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vline
Member # 1132

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nar sorry I cannot report on a journey on The Ghan, except to say that it's supposed to be going through to Darwin twice weekly soon and you realise it's regularly over 30 cars long. So obviously its still popular despite the steep fares.
BTW, if your thinking of travelling in the state of Queensland, by the high speed tilt train, as opposed to the regular "Sunlander/Queenslander' land cruise between Brisbane/Cairns, please be advised that the tilt train will not be operating at 100MPH speeds until, I believe, about October 2006, due to a derailment & subsequent Department of Transport inquiry recommending the installation of new safety protocols. Hope I haven't put you off travelling to Oz.
Mike in Australia.

Posts: 60 | From: Ballan, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
up4884
Member # 4192

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for up4884     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Mike, not put off at all. Aware of the coastal routes, e.g. tilt train. Would probably start with Ghan though. Been looking at travel package
deals to reduce cost. Hopefully can match the expense to our budget.
Thanks
Eric
Northern MI

Posts: 3 | From: Northern Michigan | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page