RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » International » Turbostar

Author Topic: Turbostar
Donald
Member # 4697

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Donald     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any pages to do with the Bombardier Turbostar?
Posts: 1 | From: Glasgow | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a couple:
http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?id=1_0&lang=en&file=/en/1_0/1_1/1_1_4_1_7.jsp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_170

Having ridden them, they're fairly quiet, comfortable, and have reasonable acceleration. Nothing stellar, just a middle-of-the-road multiple unit.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Visited the link. 2&1 seating? I though you could get a comforatble 2&@ within the BR loading gauge.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's first class. Standard class is 2+2 seating. Inner suburban trains even manage to fit 2+3 seating, though it's rather cosy.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is as I suspected. Seems like the promotional material for everybody always only shows the pricey accomodations.

2+3 in the British Loading Gauge? That is beyond cosy! Only skinny people allowed to ride? I though the New Jersey transit 2+3 was a little too cosy and that in a standard 10 foot wide American coach. The Shinkansen standard class is 2+3 and not cramped, but that is in a 3380 mm wide car. (11'-1")

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

It's certainly not for obese or broad shouldered people, I grant you that. Nor is it good for reading broadsheets. But for a short commuter trip of well under an hour, I guess a small seat is better than no seat at all!

The Shinkansen certainly looks and feels wide - my only experience being one retired car at the National Railway Museum in York (UK).

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page